Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Soundtrack: Soundtrack's Back Edition.

The only thing that I am consistent with these days is my inconsistency in everything. Even my feelings on some of the following songs are somewhat inconsistent. Bless my heart.

She is Love by Parachute. I heard this song on some tv show the other day (shocker!) and loved it. But now that I have given it another listen, I can't really remember why I loved it so much because now I'm not even sure that I like it. But don't let that stop you from loving it.

Stones Over Rushing Water by NeedToBreathe. Oh my goodness, I love this song. Always. But for the life of me I cannot figure out why NeedToBreathe [why do bands/groups do weird spacing things with their names?] is touring with Taylor Swift.

50 Ways to Leave your Lover by Paul Simon. My last soundtrack edition's reference to Paul Simon put me on a bit of a Paul Simon kick. Interestingly enough, in all of the 50 ways, I've never once heard Paul advise Peter to become a cheater.

The Old Apartment by Barenaked Ladies. Ok, so when did the BNL revival begin? Or am I the only one who has heard this song no less than a trillion times in the last 3 weeks on the radio and on Pandora. I had to feature this one especially after last week's episode of Community when Jeff Winger got into an argument with the rest of the gang over the lameness of BNL. Wait, wasn't that on Community? Or was it How I Met Your Mother? Y'all. I'm a prime candidate for the next episode of Intervention. My invention? Something to reduce the amount of tv shows in my DVR line-up.

Notion by Kings of Leon. Don't knock Kings of Leon. Even if you get the notion to do so.

Stay or Leave by Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds. I hope these two never have to sing this song about their own relationship because I just love it when they make music together.

Love and Memories by O.A.R. I'm telling you people, the O.A.R. station on Pandora is spinning some good stuff these days. Who knew a bunch of guys from THE Ohio State University would ever be so good at what they do? Silly me, it's THE Ohio State University...of course they were always going to be revolutionary.

Neon by John Mayer. Was it just me or did Johnny boy look a little rougher than usual at The Grammy's? I've never understood the intrigue with him as a person, but I heard his version of this song that he played at Eddie's Attic the other day on the radio and I became slightly intrigued with him. Or perhaps just the song on the radio. When listening to his music on the radio one doesn't have to actually watch him sing. Which makes his music better. Yes, as a matter of fact, I am a licensed critic.

Grenade by Bruno Mars. "Tell the devil I said hey when you get back to where you're from." That line makes me giggle. Typically I change the station faster than one can say "lame song" when I hear this on the radio. I happened to hear this part when I was scanning the other day, and now I'm trying to incorporate it into my conversations at least once a day. Thus far I've been unsuccessful because I typically don't find myself in situations when I'm conversing with spawns of Satan. Well, not anymore, anyway.

And lastly,
my favorite Grammy performance from Sunday night: Mumford & Sons + The Avett Brothers + Bob Dylan all introduced by David Letterman = my serious consideration to just become a groupie now that I've got an advanced degree.

That's all for this week. Maybe next week [or whenever I return] I'll compile a little theme-based soundtrack for the masses. Cover songs? Duets? Suggestions?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I honestly thought he was Johnny Depp until I heard him talk. Poor JM. He needs an intervention...