Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cue Peaches and Herb

[Warning: If you've come here for thought-provoking and inspiring reading material, on this particular day you've come to the wrong place.]

Confession: I was once a fan of reality television. You know...back in the good old days when reality television was quality viewing material and wholesome entertainment for all. What? You can't think of a time when this ever was the case? Well, obviously you hadn't yet discovered the wonder of satellite or cable television then because in my opinion, the peak of reality TV was when the all-too-short marriage of Nick and Jessica was chronicled on MTV's Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica. I'll be the first to admit that even though I never missed a single episode, back in the day I was a little skeptical (read: far too jaded and cynical for such a young age) that the two would actually make it to a time when their grand kids would be impersonating James Brown on a staircase in honor of their golden anniversary. Nonetheless I really wanted their marriage to work because well, it was a marriage and typically I'm a fan of them lasting. Call me old-fashioned for having such silly notions.

Well for those of you who are attuned to all of the major current events in the world [read: pop culture], it is old news that Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnillo took the exit for splitsville a couple of weeks ago. I don't really know much about their relationship since it wasn't broadcast for the free world to see on TV, however I do know that typically when two people dive right into a serious relationship very shortly after ending other serious relationships the chances of divvying up the good silver are pretty great. [I'm glad that I'm putting my psychology degree to use here because I was beginning to feel that I was never going to actually use it.]

And then yesterday I read that Jessica Simpson got dropped like a bad habit by her Cowboy, Tony Romo. The day before her birthday, no less. Poor girl...first the news media drags her through the mud because she "blew up" to what was probably a whopping size 6 [and then made a poor fashion decision in wearing those jeans] and now this.

As unfortunate as it is that both of these relationships have seemingly come to an end, I'm a little optimistic here because who wouldn't love a Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica Reunion? It's really a opportunity for second chances all around...a second chance for Nick and Jessica to mend fences and live happily ever after as well as a second chance for reality television and myself to do the same thing.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Ha ha. I thought the exact same thing when I heard the news yesterday. I had hoped for a reunion for Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, but that didn't happen. Oh, well. I guess Jon and Kate are finito as well.

Josh and Donna said...

thank you for the gossip update, i was unaware. and i support the reunion but only of MTV replays that long song video of nick's where jessica is the bride over and over.