Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Day Breakfast Died.

No worries, my three readers. This is not a post about my participation in an annual hog slaughter or anything of that nature.

In 2001 when I moved out of Sanford and onto Ash Avenue I decided that since I was a grown up now I should start doing grown up things like eating breakfast. So I quickly fell into the habit of drinking a glass of chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast [because apparently I was too mature for Nesquik, yet too young for Ensure] on the way to work and then around 10:00, I would have a banana. It was the perfect combination to tide me over until one of my favorite times of day: lunch time. And I have kept this habit for the past 9 years. Until now.

Why, you wonder? Well because tonight when I went to Target to pick some up, there was none. It's not that they just happen to be out, some other product has set up housekeeping on the shelf where it goes. I combed that place over looking for the "new spot" only to discover that there's not one. So I caved and went to my least favorite place in this whole town: Wal-Mart. Same story. As a last ditch effort I went to Kroger. No dice.

Now I know for certain that Ashton Kutcher is going to show up soon and inform me that I will be featured in the series premiere of Punk'd: The Everyday Citizen Edition.

Yes, it is absolutely silly that I'm blogging about a powdered drink mix of all things, but it's either this or work on my applied project for school. The thing about me is that not only am I a creature of habit, but I'm loyal. When I find something that I like, I stick with it which means that when I go to the store and it's no longer there, I'm forced outside of my comfort zone and left standing in the aisle twirling my hair with a confused look on my face. The confused look was probably due to the fact that I was contemplating what I was going to eat tomorrow for breakfast. Pop tarts...Toaster strudels...Who has time in the mornings to plug in the toaster and wait for something to toast? Not. Me. Chocolate milk...Hi-C...I wonder just how much high fructose corn syrup I can consume by 8:00. Talk about a breakfast of champions.

Then I decided that I should probably just stop eating breakfast altogether. [I also contemplated moving for about 30 seconds before I realized that was a bit hasty.] However, if I do that I'll be talking to students by 9:45 like Jillian talks to her big losers on TV. I imagine that wouldn't go over so well with the governor's customer service initiative nor would it fly with the helicopter parents.

Besides, I have to have something to fill my collection of pilsner glasses with or else they will begin to collect dust. And who has time for dusting dishes? Not. Me. This means that I'll at least keep drinking a glass of milk in the morning so I won't have to take once monthly Caltrate by the time I'm 37.

It seems though that the possibilities for something new are endless. And by "endless" I mean until I travel out of the greater Athens-Clarke County area and go shopping elsewhere. Until then though what do you all eat for breakfast? Maybe there's something better out there than powdered chocolate as a breakfast item after all.

6 comments:

Doc said...

You need an agent -- and to get PUBLISHED. Seriously. Grinned out loud over the ever-so-clever analogies. WTG. (How on earth did you avoid the CIB *lumps* - ack.)

Brenda A. said...

You REALLY should write a book, Heather. You really are good.....

Jenny said...

And I also eat a banana every morning at 10.

Jenny said...

My breakfast varies. But it is one thing I can't do without. Sometimes when I eat on the way to work, I eat a bagel or cereals that I like dry. Sometimes I eat oatmeal or grits when I get to work. When I don't go to work in the mornings (like on Saturday) I eat any and all kinds of breakfast foods--eggs, cereal with milk, smoothies after a run, muffins, biscuits. I love breakfast. Sometimes I even eat it during the day when it's not breakfast anymore.

BTW--lowfat chocolate milk is pretty good for you and is a great post-workout drink.

Angel said...

What about chocolate soy milk? It's so yummy...

have a big glass and then your banana at 10...

The Hudgins said...

i eat non breakfast things for breakfast. anything leftover from the night before. my favorite is pizza. i like a good cup of coffee or frozen coffee in the a.m.'s too.