Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Soundtrack: I love Pandora Radio Edition.

Perhaps you've noticed that it has been a couple of weeks since my last Soundtrack post. My apologies. I have been a little busy plus I have been hopelessly devoted to my Mumford & Sons Sigh No More CD. Seriously, if you haven't checked it out, go directly to iTunes and download the entire thing. You will not regret it. If you do, well then gift it to a friend because I'm confident that your friend will portray you as a hero who delivered them from the pit of musical monotony. I'm that confident. I'm also confident that there are at least two folks who enjoy Soundtrack Wednesdays. How do I know this? One of them told me so this past weekend which is why Soundtrack Wednesday is back. [At least for this week.] Since I haven't really been listening to the radio all that much, I've spent some time listening to Pandora at work this week. I've decided to share with you my favorite selection that was played on each of my Pandora stations during the hour or so that I listened to each one. You all do know about Pandora, right? If you don't then stop reading this silly post and hop on over to http://www.pandora.com/. You will not regret it. Have you noticed that this is a post that has guaranteed no regrets twice now? I've obviously fallen victim to the political propaganda that accompanies a midterm election. Back to the music...

Explanation: For this post, I'm listing my "radio station" on Pandora first and then the song and artist I've selected to share with you all. Hyperlinks? Sorry, not this week.

Phil Wickham Radio: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing the Chris Rice The Living Room Sessions version. I had totally forgotten about his cd titled The Living Room Sessions, but I'm glad this song reminded me of it. It's just him playing the piano. Judging by the title, I think he would like for us to believe that the recordings took place in a living room somewhere. Perhaps they did.


Natalie Merchant Radio: The Reason Why by Rachel Yamagata. This was the first time I've ever heard this song but I liked it. Very much a tune that would be featured on Grey's Anatomy/Alias/insert other prime time drama show here during a really critical moment of the weekly episode.


Girl Country Radio: Georgia Rain by Trisha Yearwood. Confession: It was all I could do to let this station play for more than about 15 minutes. I was totally not down with girl country earlier this week. In fact I'm not even sure why I even set this station up like I did in the first place. But it's not your job to figure out why I do the things I do so I'll quit typing my thoughts. As soon as I heard a Georgia girl singing a song about the Georgia rain I immediately interrupted my work flow to change stations.

The Killers Radio: Automatic Stop by The Strokes. What? I like The Strokes. Who doesn't like The Strokes?

David Gray Radio: Lonelily by Damien Rice. Damien Rice has a cool name and he used to sing with a cool chick so that means he's cool too, right? Yes, yes it does. Plus he's Irish. That earns him 5 more cool points. Even though I do prefer Delicate and 9 Crimes to Lonelily.

Jon Foreman Radio: And Then You by Greg Laswell. Pop quiz: Who is Jon Foreman? I heard this song for the very first time on Tuesday too and I'm pretty sure it was written especially for me. Remember how your grandma used to sew clothes for you and put those little tags in them that said something to the effect of "Made especially for HP by Mu" with a little white cat on the tag? What? Only my grandmother did things like that? Well, I apologize for your misfortune. Anywho, if a song could come attached with a little stitched tag, well...you know where I'm going with this. In a nutshell, it's about how we try to do things all by ourselves and then You [uppercase Y can only mean one thing: God] come along and do things the right way, the best way. I'm like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day when it comes to that lesson.

Christopher Cross Radio: I Keep Forgettin' by Michael McDonald and Sail On by Lionel Richie. I'm sorry, but I couldn't choose just one song. One day last week coworker pal Em O-W discovered Christopher Cross Radio. I mocked her and then on Friday I secretly created my own CC station. It was an epic fail. So much so that I skipped the first two songs. On Monday I tried it again for the sake of you, my readers, and it was all I could do to tear myself away from the station and move on to the next one. Air Supply, Ambrosia, Player...it's like the trip to the skating rink in the 70's that I'll never have.

Zac Brown Band Radio: Her Man by Gary Allan. Whaddya' say we pretend like the song I heard was Gary Allan's Smoke Rings in the Dark instead of this one?

Sugarland Radio: Enjoy the Ride by Sugarland. How about that. I finally include a song by the artist for which the station is named.

O.A.R. Radio: Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. Hallelujah that this station played one of my favorite songs ever or else I would have to devote my time here justifying an O.A.R. station. If you are going to choose just one of these fabulous songs to listen to today then please pick this one. It's the best one on the list IMHO.

James Taylor Radio: My Stunning Mystery Companion by Jackson Browne. Jackson Browne...he's like that sweater in your closet that you always forget about but when you stumble across it you remember how much you really do like it.

Jason Mraz Radio: All We Are by Matt Nathanson. He opened for Sugarland last year and sang this song. And that's all I have to say about that. Good story, huh?

Sarah McLachlan Radio: I Never Told You by Colbie Caillat. Time for truth: I never told you [until now] that I'm not a Colbie Caillat fan. Even that first song of hers...Bubbly. Pleh. I do like this song though primarily because I don't really think she sounds like herself in this song. Maybe she's maturing. Maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Chris Tomlin Radio: Hosana by Hillsong United. Y'all. Keith Urban and Olivia Newton-John aren't the only Aussies who can carry a tune. I love Hillsong United. It makes me think that I should be on some sort of church retreat with everyone gathered around a campfire while someone plays the guitar. Even though I'm not really sure why because never in my life have I been on a church retreat with everyone gathered around a campfire while someone plays the guitar.

No comments: