Monday, May 23, 2011

It looks like we made it.

I originally wrote this on Saturday so it's like reading last week's newspaper. Except there is really nothing newsworthy included in this post.

I’ve heard rumblings that the world is supposed to end today. I’m not even going to waste my time engaging in debate regarding this claim because for me, it’s a win-win situation. It happens: Welcome to Heaven! It doesn’t: I carry on with my weekend plans which include finally seeing Bridesmaids.

Regardless, by the time this post hits the blogosphere the present threat of rapture will be a distant memory. Why, you ask? Because I’m typing this post the old-fashioned way. Well, old-fashioned in a Microsoft Office 2007 sort of way as opposed to directly in Blogger. It just so happens that my computer has some sort of internet virus. And if I’ve learned anything over the past few days, I’ve learned that computer viruses don’t just “run their course” like people viruses do. Instead of confronting the issue head-on by contacting my local geek squad, I’ve taken the Scarlett O’hara approach and have decided to worry about it another day. [And if the world does end then I will be glad that I didn’t waste what little time I had left here devoted to repairing Coco the Dell.] So all of that to say, I’ll transfer this post from a flash drive to my blog at some point before Jesus returns.

I don’t really have anything of substance to write about today, but since I haven’t written in awhile I thought I would do a sort of housekeeping post as a means of updating everyone on my so-called life. And by everyone I mean the three readers who regularly stop by this little blog o’mine. Without further adieu…
1. I’m happy to report that I’m no longer down with the sickness. After an additional round of antibiotics and a cocktail of steroids and Mucinex with Sudafed, I can finally hear my television when the volume is set at a reasonable level. A word about steroids and Mucinex with Sudafed: The combo made me fighting mad. Except it also killed my appetite so I had no energy to actually fight anyone.
2. Unfortunately the loss of appetite was only a temporary side effect so I have been celebrating its return quite frequently with my latest and greatest grocery store discovery: Yoplait Smoothie pouches. You can find them in the freezer section and they are a delicious combo of smoothie goodness that you simply throw into your blender along with a cup of skim milk. My favorite so far is blackberry pomegranate. Speaking of Yoplait…
3. I like yogurt now. If there was ever a sign of the apocalypse my new found love of yogurt is certainly it. Especially considering my aversion to any and all foods of a certain color and texture.
4. I might or might not have contributed to the perpetuation of Southern stereotypes earlier this week. How so, you wonder? I “fixed” my car with duct tape. Jeff Foxworthy would be so proud. You know that Scarlett O’hara mentality I mentioned earlier? Yep, it’s in full effect here too.
5. Also earlier this week, I went to a Neko Case show with my friend Kat at 40 Watt. You three know that I take pride in what I consider to be my rather broad knowledge base when it comes to music. Until Wednesday though I was completely ignorant to all things Neko. In fact, I went to the show never having heard a single one of her songs. I have totally been missing out! She was fantastic. An added bonus of the evening was the opportunity to observe Athens culture at its finest. I really do love this town. An unanticipated part of the evening was getting hit on by an uber creepy high school guidance counselor. It’s an occupational hazard I suppose. Fortunately, it wasn’t too long until he spotted one of his former students and moved on to her. I wish that I was kidding about that but I’m not.
6. I’m really sad to see some of my friends leave for the summer. And by friends, I’m referring to characters on television shows. Perhaps I should devote a whole post to this like I did at the beginning of the new season. Spoiler alert: my favorite show this season has without a doubt been Parks & Recreation. I never saw it coming, but it li-tri-ly makes me laugh until I cry each week.
7. I just remembered my biggest reason for hoping that the rapture doesn’t happen in 29 minutes as predicted: Justin Timberlake is hosting the season finale of SNL. Oh how I love Justin Timberlake. And I know that he’s going to love me one day too. Just as soon as Kristen Wiig introduces me to him because it’s inevitable that she and I will be great friends one day as well. She can be a bridesmaid in our wedding.
8. I should be spending less time rambling on about nonsensical matters and more time updating my resume. Um…not because I’m actively looking for a new job right now but in the event that opportunity knocks, I need to be ready to answer. Besides, I’ve got a fancy diploma all rolled up in a cardboard tube as evidence that I’m smarter and more qualified for certain jobs than I was this time last year. I might as well make the most of that free education.
9. Speaking of education, I never thought that I would say it this soon after graduation, but I kind of miss school. No one tell my boss this because he would be able to say "I told you so" even louder than he already does. I don’t miss is badly enough to go back. Yet. In the event that I do go back, perhaps I should take basic grammar courses in an attempt to nip my habit of beginning fragmented sentences with conjunctions and ending them with prepositions in the bud.
10. I need a vacation.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

Suzanna said...

As much as I say I don't watch much tv, the truth is I've gotten into a few shows, and you expressed my sentiments exactly in #6. Season finales (especially when you know this season is it) have always been emotional for me. And, I would have NEVER guessed, but Parks and Rec has actually moved up the line to take the place of "second favorite" in the Thursday night line up.

Brenda A. said...

Since you mentioned finales, Tom and I have been grieving over the end of Survivor, The Amazing Race, and soon to be American Idol. I also am grieving more as I am missing Celebrity Apprentice and America's Next Top Model. Being "realistic" here, guess I really need a life.