Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers: The original Leatherman tool.

Sure, the title of today's post isn't syrupy sweet and sappy as one might expect for a Mother's Day tribute, but is motherhood a continuous flow of syrupy sweet and sappy moments? I can't speak from personal experience but after years of observation and knowing first hand that I am not a child who was a provider of non-stop syrupy sweet and sappy moments for my own mother, I think it's safe to say that it is not. When you think about it though, moms really are very much like Leatherman tools. I mean...they can do practically everything, they are used and abused, and they can withstand insane amounts of pressure. Am I wrong? Have you ever heard anyone who owns a Leatherman tool say "man, this was the worst investment I've ever made, it's completely useless." I am quite thankful and consider myself oh-so-fortunate that not once have I ever thought of my sweet mama as completely useless.
The older I get, the more I appreciate her. [I've heard this is pretty typical.] She is my constant cheerleader. She is a voice of reason. She is a true example of strength and grace in the midst of turmoil. I wonder why I did not inherit her trait of being laid back and go with the flow, but I sure am glad that she has it since I do not. She pours out so much love into the lives of her kiddos without the expectation that she is going to get something in return. More often than not, she doesn't even get a thank you. She has gone without so that we could have the latest and greatest big thing that happened to be at the top of our wish lists countless times.

It's no secret that I have always been a mama's girl and as a result, we have a close relationship. Yet very seldom do I take the time to stop and tell her thank you for being such a good mom to me throughout the years. It's something that I have always taken for granted and as with most things, we never miss the things that we've always had until they are no longer there or until we see that not everyone else is afforded the same blessings. Perhaps the best compliment that I can one day give her will be to look to her example when I am fortunate enough to be a mom myself. I hope that the laid back and go with the flow trait kicks in by then!







"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my mother." - Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing daughter! Thank you. I love you.