Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Soundtrack: OPP Edition.

My inspiration for this week's soundtrack post was founded in last week's Hollywood buzz that my boy Justin has gone and cheated on Jessica. [Yes, as a matter of fact, I did enter a period of brief mourning because I do love Justin T.] We all know that human nature loves a good story about liars and cheaters with no regard to the actual truth of the matter. I will tip-toe out on a limb here and say that usually though where there is smoke, unfortunately there is fire. What we all think really doesn't matter though because the two people that really matter know the truth. And even if he looks directly into her eyes and assures her that he loves her and she's his one and only, when Mary Camden gets really honest with herself, she'll know if he's telling the truth or not. He can't hide those lyin' eyes. Even if she doesn't want to believe what her gut is telling her. I mean, it really is like a 7th Heaven episode, isn't it? And if the rumors are true then I hope Jessica Biel rocks on with her smoking hot [butalittletoomasculineinmyopinion] body and says bye bye bye to the boy that will soon be cryin' a river of his own when he realizes that what goes around comes around. She can put on her boots and start walking to the beat of this little playlist I've created.

Your Cheating Heart by Hank Williams, Sr. I mean, seriously. Country music was made for cheating songs. I might as well pull an oldie but goody out of the archives to get this party started. After all, Jessica is wearing boots.

You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette. In my opinion, Alanis is kind of like caffeine. Small doses taken in moderation is fine but if you push your limits and have too much of it, it sends you straight. over. the. edge. I wonder if Alanis was having a bad day when she wrote this song. More importantly, I wonder if Alanis has ever had a good day.

White Blank Page by Mumford & Sons. Did you think I wouldn't feature a Mumford & Sons song? What are you? Crazy? Why do you think I've been listening to that CD nonstop for weeks now? This song, is why. I also think that Damien Rice and that girl (why can I never remember her name?) could have done this song really well in their own style. Speaking of...

9 Crimes by Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan. I know I've mentioned this song before and I try to avoid sounding like a broken record (ha!) but it's just too good not to use again. And now I'm bloggin' cause it's relevant, not just for the helluva' it. [Seriously, I am on a roll.]

Beautiful Liar by Beyonce and Shakira. I. Love. This. Song. I had totally forgotten about it until I started thinking about that country song about cheating that was performed by two women. Any guesses where I'm going with this one? If you are a girl born between the years of 1975 and 1982 who was exposed to country music for at least 5 minutes during 1993 and haven't performed your own rendition of this song with your greatest gal pal then you really haven't lived. I'm just saying. Give up? Alright, here's your answer...

Does He Love You by Reba McIntyre and Linda Davis. The lesson to be learned here? The redhead will always prevail.

Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss. Y'all. How could Brad and Alison just stand there and sing while poor little Ricky Schroder gets his heart broken after returning home from the great war to only drink himself to death? What? It's just a story? Well, then I take back every tear I've ever shed while watching this video.

All These Years by Sawyer Brown. Because once I bring you down with a song, I like to keep you there for awhile by mentioning another ridiculously sad song about men who love women that treat them oh so wrong. See, men aren't the only womanizers out there. I mean...well...you know what I mean.

Hit 'Em Up Style by Blu Cantrell. Thanks to Anna for reminding me of this little tune. I'm pretty sure this is featured on my MTV Party to Go Vol. 4926 CD right between Ginuwine's Pony and that terrible Fantasy song by Ludacris. Ol' Blu is classy like that.

Not Gon' Cry by Mary J. Blige. If there was ever a great uniter between the country and R&B genres it is the lack of faithfulness in relationships. At least something of worth was brought together over cheating. If Mary J. isn't going to cry, then I don't think Jessica should either.

Bonus Track: November Rain by Guns N' Roses. It's November. It's raining. It's the best song GNR has ever done. And one day my wedding dress will look just like the bride's in the video. I sure do hope my groom looks like the groom in the video. And once again my sarcasm ruins a perfectly good musical moment.

2 comments:

Chanda R. said...

I always love your soundtrack posts! P.S. Holly and I do a mean rendition of "Does he love you?" . . . we've been doing it for years :)

Valerie said...

Included in my list of favorite college memories is our semi-regular performances of Does He Love You. Perhaps we shouldn't cross "taking our show on the road" off of our to-do list... or perhaps we can work on that next weekend on the ride down 85 :).