Thursday, November 25, 2010

Rejoice. Pray. Give Thanks.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Within this very familiar passage of scripture, there is one prepositional phrase (er...sorry technical writing pals if I'm not using the correct technical term) that really sticks out to me this year: in everything give thanks. Everything? Even the stuff we would like to fast-forward through or better yet, go back in time and erase completely? Yep. I think so. Even the curve balls we are thrown? Yep. I think so. Sounds like a pretty tall order, doesn't it? Yep. I think so. There were some curve balls thrown my way this year, and it just so happens that I don't own a catcher's mitt. It goes without saying that those curve balls hurt. So I'm going to take Paul's advice. I'm not declaring success. I certainly cannot do it alone, but with God's grace I might just come close to giving thanks in everything. Speaking of God's grace, this is absolutely what I am most thankful for this year. Because of this grace, I have not nor will I ever lose my joy. Therefore, I rejoice. I am thankful that I live in a country where I can rejoice and pray without fear of persecution. I am thankful that I know my God hears those prayers. I am thankful that the same God who hears them answers them in the way that is best for his kiddos.


I am thankful for hurt. I am thankful for healing. I am thankful for hope.

2 comments:

Kat Brown said...

Giving thanks for the great Saturday morning read. Thank you HP. Hugs!

Jeffrey & Katie said...

Just heard this at my sister's church last week..."from gratefulness comes happiness." It's so simple but true. Happy Thanksgiving, HP!