Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Soundtrack: Under Pressure Edition.

To say that the past couple of weeks have been a little stressful is like saying there's a little bit of salt in the ocean. To say that I sometimes sound a little dramatic here on my blog is like saying that Heidi has had a little work done. Nonetheless, I have had a lot going on. Don't believe me? Well, today was my defense for school and being the pro procrastinator that I am, preparing for it has made me aware of how much more sleep a gal in her 30's needs than a gal in her 20's does. So today's soundtrack theme is dedicated to the songs I've been spinning that are just fun to sing along with or are a little bit encouraging and motivational. Sorry, Rocky theme music not included.

Brand New Day by Josh Radin. I tried to pick out my favorite line in this song, but I couldn't. But for the first time in such a long, long time, I know I'll be ok. Fact.

Never Been to Spain by Three Dog Night. How can you not like Three Dog Night? Or this song? Even if you don't, what does it matter?

Float On by Modest Mouse. Isn't it great to know that good news is on the way and we'll all float on anyway?

Narrow Escape by Ray LaMontagne. Ok, maybe not so much motivational or uplifting, but it's Ray LaMontagne and his mellowness sometimes trumps those two. Now is one of those times.

1999 by Prince. Tonight I'm going to party like it's 1999. Why? Because I passed my defense, that's why. And sometimes back in 1999, I partied by throwing on my flannel pj's and heading on over to Lewis Hall with a sleeve of cookie dough to hang out with my pals Suz and Kat while one of them had RA duty. Maybe I'll party like it's 2009 instead. I've gotten waaaaaaay cooler. Speaking of...

Raise Your Glass by Pink. Too school for cool? Too cool for school? Too lame for my own well-being? I'm going with door #3.

Wave on Wave by Pat Green. I realize that transitioning from Pink to Pat Green is much like pouring boiling water into a frosted mug. Not the best of ideas. But Pat Green kind of makes me think we should all just pack up and move to Texas and sit out in big field and listen to him play music all day. Imagine what a stress-free environment that would be.

Hello World by Lady Antebellum. Did anyone see the CMAs last Wednesday? I had actually heard this song earlier that day when I was driving to campus to distribute my portfolio to my committee. And I might have gotten a little misty-eyed. If I were prone to getting misty-eyed when listening to music, that is. Added bonus when I heard it a second time that day during the CMAs.

Free Fallin' by Tom Petty. I'm a good girl and it just so happens that I love my mama, Jesus, and America too.

Nights on Broadway by the Bee Gees. [There are so many reasons why you should click on the hyperlink to the song...primarily the girl's top.] Oh, the Bee Gees. I feel like I missed out on so much since I wasn't a child of the 70's. Confession: This was my theme music today as I was driving over to my defense. Another Confession: it's not so much this actual song that I love but since I heard it on the radio the other day I haven't been able to get this out of my mind...

1 comment:

Katie S. said...

So how'd the defense go???? I am going to bet that it was awesome. Way to go, HP! When can we celebrate your freedom from higher education (yet not really)?