Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Soundtrack: It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas Edition.

Anybody out there love dessert? Think about your most favorite dessert in the whole wide world. Mine happens to be red velvet cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. Love. It. The last time I had it though was in February. If it was something that I ate frequently it would kind of lose its appeal. Kind of like spaghetti. It's good, but I get sick and tired of it after having it for the 4th meal in a row. In fact, after a couple of days with leftover spaghetti, I wish that spaghetti would buy a one-way ticket to Italy and never bother to renew its passport. What does my ramble about food have to do with music? Everything. My feelings about Christmas music are very similar to my feelings about spaghetti. There is such thing as too much of a good thing. In fact, I have one strict commandment when it comes to Christmas music: Thou shalt not play Christmas music in my presence before Thanksgiving. Have I ever mentioned my uncle, Ebenezer Scrooge? I kid, I kid. In the spirit of Christmas though, I would like to dedicate my soundtrack segments between now and December 25th to some of my favorite music that I spin at my house for about 30 days each year. 'Tis the season!

Christmas in Hollis by Run D.M.C. What? You didn't really think I was going to start with Jingle Bells did you? Not when Mom's cooking chicken and collard greens!

Pretty Paper by Willie Nelson. Did anyone happen to see Willie [back] in the headlines this week? Talk about same song, 99th verse. Kind of makes me wonder if he's singing about wrapping paper or rolling papers in this song though.

Last Christmas by Wham! It really wouldn't be Christmas without a little George Michael now would it? Don't answer that question.

Wizards in Winter by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. TSO is playing in Atlanta in mid-December. Dear Santa, I've been a good girl this year. If you are out there reading, I would really like to see their show. Love, HP


God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings by Barenaked Ladies featuring Sarah McLachlan. I know, I know. The whole thing sounds a little unnatural but it's a good combo so go with it. After a couple of listens there's a pretty great chance that if you had a million dollars, you would pay these guys to come play your Christmas party.

Go Tell It on the Mountain by Little Big Town. Hmmm. It seems that Little Big Town performed this on that television special earlier this week. The aforementioned special was not my inspiration for featuring it today though. It just so happens that this song is on HP's Holiday Hits: Volume II that I was listening to this morning on the way into work.

Children Go Where I Send Thee by Natalie Merchant. When I was a little girl, I had the Cabbage Patch Kids Christmas record. It was my favorite Christmas record even above Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and Elvis's "Blue Christmas" records. This song was on that record, and I might have worn that part of the record out listening to it so much. I happen to love the grown up Natalie Merchant version now that I'm a big girl. Recognize the guest voices in her version?

Do You Hear What I Hear by Whitney Houston. She sings this one with a voice as big as the sea.

Mistletoe by Colbie Caillat. According to Colbie it's not Christmas if the snow doesn't fall. Well, that certainly saves me a lot of shopping.

Hard Candy Christmas by Dolly Parton. Dolly is clearly in an emotional state when she sings this song. Fortunately she realizes the perils of maybe getting drunk on apple wine and decides to maybe learn to sew instead. I hope she lets the apple wine hangover wear off first though or else she's likely to prick her finger with a sewing needle. My wish is that you all have a hard candy Christmas. Minus the toothaches and apple wine hangovers.

And now for my little Christmas gift to myself [and you all]: a non-Christmas bonus track. This week I would like to share Little Miss by Sugarland. I just love it when songs are written especially for me.

2 comments:

Bill & Stacie said...

TSO is fabulous live!

Jeffrey & Katie said...

One of our favorite holiday traditions is pulling out "HP's Holiday Hits" right after Thanksgiving. We have so much to learn from Run DMC - returning lost items, respect for your Mom, etc. I could listen to that song all month long. In fact, I think I will...