Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Soundtrack: The 12 Songs of Christmas Edition.

Before I dive any deeper into today's musical feature, let me just go ahead and put it out there that The Twelve Days of Christmas will not be one of today's songs. This may come as a disappointment for you Christmas carol traditionalists who are reading along at home. My apologies. Might I recommend that you create your own list and then share it with the group. And by group, I mean my three regular readers. Let's get this party started, right?

Little Drummer Boy by MercyMe. Alright so I know that this song has a good meaning. I know that the dear Lord baby Jesus wants us to use the gifts and talents that he has given us in order to turn them back in praise and glory for him. But. Each and every time I hear this song, I get so cracked up at the thought of the ox and lamb keeping time. I mean, really? Barn animals keeping time? Let's be a little realistic please. In my mind, the ox and lamb are both standing together in the corner, wearing sunglasses, smoking cigars (um, hello...a baby was just born, let's celebrate!), and snapping their fingers and stomping their hooves.


Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby. This is the song I have been singing in the mornings when I'm out walking my dog in the arctic temps. Mind over matter, people.


Mary Did You Know? by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd. Love can build a bridge and because it can, I'm convinced you all will still be my friend even though this particular version of the song is my favorite one. The song in general though is easily one of my favorites ever. While we're on the subject of song titles in the form of a question...


What Child is This? by Sarah McLachlan. Do yourself a favor and please obtain your own personal copy of Sarah's Wintersong cd. It's a rare one that I will listen to all the way through without skipping ahead. In fact, it's so good that songs from it made my list twice this week.


River by Sarah McLachlan. Joni Mitchell actually sang this song first but ol' Sarah does a great cover. Notice how I seem to be on a first name basis with Sarah? I'm acting as if there is a Christmas card from her waiting for me at home in my mailbox. Yes, as a matter of fact this may be the one of the most depressing songs ever. There's something about melancholy that just feels so good though, isn't there?


Happy Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon. Did you know that it was 30 years ago today when John Lennon was murdered? Did you know that I invited Debbie Downer to be a guest blogger today?


Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Jackson 5. I hope Santa Claus has room in his sleigh for a house with a fenced-in backyard this year because I am already tired of walking my dog in the cold and it's only been cold for 3 days. I suspect that there's more room for a nice gloves, scarf, and hat combo. I also suspect that some of you out there prefer Bruce's version of this song.


In honor of the 8th crazy night of Hanukkah (Chanukah?), The Chanukah Song by Adam Sandler. Why haven't I heard this song at all this season? Could it be because I've had my head stuck in the sand trying to finish school? Surely not.

O Come, O Come Emmanuel. I couldn't really find a version of this song that I like all that well online. This one by Sufjan Stevens is alright...even though I much prefer a big booming baritone voice versus a ukulele being the musical accompaniment to his not so big and booming bariton voice. It's really the lyrics that get me though and those are the same in all versions.

Christmas Song by Dave Matthews Band. Confession: I do listen to this song before Thanksgiving. It's just that good.

Merry Christmas from the Family by Robert Earl Keen. How come all commercials and Norman Rockwell paintings depict perfect families enjoying perfect dinners on a perfect winter day? I think that REK speaks a little more realistically of most families at Christmas gatherings. Except for mine, of course. I come from a long line of sophistication and class and we served as inspiration for most of Rockwell's work.

Here With Us by Joy Williams. I heard this song for the first time ever on my way to work Monday morning. More than anything in this world I am so thankful to know that the little baby sent by God long, long ago is here with us even today. And tomorrow. And forever.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

And my heart swells with pride... :)