Tuesday, February 24, 2009

High School Education

Since my pal Allison up and left me in order to explain the meaning of War Eagle! and recruit for the enemy to our West, I have been frequenting high schools a little more often until we find her replacement. She can never be replaced, per say, but we've got to get someone in here to do the dirty work because I can no longer stand for 2.5 hours straight in heels.

Today I had the opportunity to visit a school that shall remain nameless but considering the mascot is the Bulldog, it's very safe to say that I was within a 50-mile radius of Athens. It is fun to make the occasional trip to a high school because I always come back much more educated about kids today, and since this blog is my little contribution to society I feel it necessary to educate you, my three readers, as well.

To begin with who knew that blue corduroy was so popular? Granted, I bought 2 pair of cords back in the fall, but I never realized that jackets were all the rage among young men these days. I have never seen so much blue corduroy in a concentrated area in my life.Now, I happen to be a big fan of FFA because if it weren't for FFA camp that my daddy went to that summer of '74, he would have never met my mama who happened to be at FHA camp at the same place and then there would have never been me. I give much credit to the Future Farmers of America for my existence. And that's weird.
Did you know that one can letter in cosmetology? Um, yeah...me neither. My eyes have been opened to a whole new world. Imagine what nail biters (no pun intended) the region and state playoffs for French manicures are!
Dressing for the season is a thing of the past. Two young ladies come to my table together. One is wearing fur-lined boots, jeans, a sweater, and a big puffy jacket with a fur-lined hood. Her gal pal is wearing strappy sandals and a short khaki skirt with a cotton t-shirt. Anybody ever heard of a happy medium?
When speaking with high schoolers, I get asked all sorts of questions. My favorite when I worked at North Georgia was "If I go here, can I jump out of airplanes?" [Yes, because we actually are running a sky-diving training camp instead of a state university.] My favorite question today was "Does this school have pediatrician?" [No, but we do offer a whole array of grammar classes.] It's astounding the number of kids who do not realize that you have to go to school for more than 4 years to become a doctor. Haven't they ever watched Grey's Anatomy for the love of Pete?
Now, sometimes it's tough to compete with other schools or businesses that are in attendance at these programs like I was at today because they have cool giveaways. Like today, the technical school down the road was giving away viles of lamb DNA. And who doesn't want to grow their own lamb at home? Real lambs are much cooler than Chia pets any day of the week. Fortunately, I was able to provide an alternative to one student. As she was looking over a brochure, she exclaimed to her friend that "They have anime club here!" And that ladies and gentlemen is how I make the world a better place and pay my bills...by giving students the opportunity to participate in an anime club.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

That's hilarious . . . and sad.

Josh and Donna said...

what i love the most is learning how your parents met! it's quite fitting.

Bill & Stacie said...

I hope you made them aware that we do not have Anime on the OC in case we were where they were looking, but they can always start one. I think you were at WBHS, am I right?

HP said...

Nope. You're not.

allison said...

Sadly, I don't know what Anime club is. Can you help me please oh wise one.

allison said...

I forgot to give you my guess.... that you were likely at Morgan County High School.....although, I must also admit that there were an awful lot of those blue jackets back in the day when I attended OCHS.

Angel said...

don't you mean for the "love of McSteamy?"

um...i'm cracking up...and right now have again made a vow to my daughters that they will know better.

Brandon said...

I share something in common with you, My existence was sealed in place during the faithful summer of 74 when my parents met at that same FFA camp. My mom told me she was sitting next to your mom when she first saw your dad. She said your mom turned to her and said - thats who I am going to marry someday