Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pet Peeve:

(n) a frequent subject of complaint. [Thank you Merriam-Webster online for the specific definition]

We all have them. Here are mine:

Ringback tones on cell phones. Nothing gets under my skin more quickly then when that lady on the other end of the line says "please enjoy the music while we try to reach your party". In my job, I hear that voice frequently. Although, the tones can be indicative of a person's personality so it's sometimes nice to have a sneak peek before actually speaking with them. Except I'm still a little confused by the Nickelback ringback tone of the mom that I had to call back the other day. I would have never pegged her as a Nickelback fan. But then again, who are Nickelback fans anyway?

"Atlanta." ...in response to the question "Where are you from?" when asked inside the state of Georgia. Odds are, that person is not from Atlanta. He or she probably doesn't even live NTP (near the perimeter), forget ITP. Example: The person who just proclaimed that he is from Atlanta when in fact he is from Ball Ground. That's at least a day's drive by horse and carriage. And horse and carriage is still the primary mode of transportation for people living in Ball Ground. Oh, I tease. I love Ball Ground and the folks who live there. Seriously.

What are some of your pet peeves? I'm in the market for a few more so if you've got good ones to offer up, let me know.

4 comments:

Angel said...

I've got a GREAT one. I can't stand it when I can hear someone's food being chewed. Ryan knows this and will chew extra loudly when he wants to annoy me. When I hear the "squelch, squirch - chomp, crunch" of the food between someone's teeth I cringed.

It also makes me very self-conscious about the way I chew food.

Lisa K. said...

I can't stand it when you tell people you are from Atlanta (or nearby) and they say oh "hotlanta". I hate that! I also hate it when people refer to the south as the dirty south....we are not dirty!!

Katie S. said...

Customer service people who chew gum. Oh, and Angel's food-chewing thing. I hate that. My dad eating potato chips is, one day, going to send me right over the edge...

Alison said...

Oh man, I really get annoyed by the people who talk on the phone while checking out at the grocery store. They look so flustered with that phone stuck between the shoulder and ear - riffeling through a huge purse to find what...money? Yes, money...you're gonna need money to pay for that stuff, my dear. They seem so stressed. I just want to say: You are not that important! If you were you wouldn't be doing your own shopping. Now, shut the cell up!