Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Soundtrack: A new segment.

I've decided to start a weekly segment here on this little blog o'mine. I make no guarantees that it will actually happen on a weekly basis, but it's fun to dream. If there are responsibilities that I need to shirk, this "standing blog obligation" provides me with the perfect outlet. Last week I kept thinking of songs that I should have added to my Soundtrack post because as in most things hindsight is 20/20. In my quest to make the world a better place (read: imposing my musical preferences and opinions on my three readers) I've decided to highlight 10 songs each week. My favorites or the ones that are just stuck in my head and won't leave, if you will. Perhaps in return, you all will share your current "favorites" and viola, it's a musical potluck of sorts. Everyone wins. [Only one hyperlink this week embedded in the text. If your curiosity is piqued that much, you should be able to find the songs independently through Google. Unless you're in China.]

9 Crimes by Damien Rice. It's haunting. It's beautiful. I love the combo of his voice with Lisa Hannigan's. In the realm of Irishmen, he's much cooler than the Frosted Lucky Charms leprechaun.

Long Road Home by Patty Griffin. I've loved this song as long as I've loved the movie Elizabethtown. I guess that's been about 5 years now.

Something Beautiful by NeedToBreathe. Love the lyrics. It speaks for itself, IMHO.

Kandi by One Eskimo. Will I remember this song in 6 months? Probably not, but I'll enjoy our time together while it lasts. The one eskimo will never even know I'm gone.

As Long As We've Got Each Other. Yes, you are correct...that is the theme song from Growing Pains. A co-worker was singing it on Monday morning which means that it has now been lodged in my head for about 48 hours. And counting. Of course a discussion ensued with the girls in the office about how dreamy Mike Seaver was back in the day. I totally had a poster of him wearing a brown leather bomber jacket over a white t-shirt hanging on my bedroom wall when I was just a tween. In aforementioned discussion on Monday, I might have confessed my crush on Jason Seaver too. Look. I never guaranteed that I would be discussing good music or omitting the things from my past that I probably shouldn't be proud of, alright?

Wrong Baby Wrong Baby Wrong by Martina McBride. She's right. There's nothing wrong with moving on.

Use Somebody by Kings of Leon. Why is this song still getting so much air play, I wonder? It's alright though because I love his voice. It seems that people either love it or hate it and I am on Team Love. And just when you think this song couldn't possibly be made any better than it already is, I remembered that it was. In our discussion of my ridiculous crushes on Monday, naturally Justin Timberlake (be still, my beating heart) became the primary subject. Which led me to remember that JT himself did a musical mash-up with this song and Cry Me a River back at his show in October. I wish that the YouTube clip did it justice. I know that following me on this train of thought is as exhausting as watching Alice chase the white rabbit into Wonderland so I'll stop now. Just trust me when I saw that It. Was. Awesome.

She Said by Collective Soul. It's alright that I'm still listening to the music that I listened to in college as long as I'm no longer wearing the same jeans that I wore in college, ok? In other words, it's fine to get stuck in music trends, just not fashion trends. Sometimes. Do you remember hidden tracks on CDs? Rewind...do you remember CDs? Ok, that's better. This song was a hidden track on their Dosage CD. I basically bought the entire CD for the hidden track after we discovered it on Mag's copy. Thank heavens and Steve Jobs for iTunes.

Airplanes by B.o.B. featuring Hayley Williams from Paramore w/ Eminem (on the radio version). Really? The energy that I expended while typing the names of everyone involved in this little collaboration has almost left me too tired to even discuss it. This song has its own little piece of real estate in my head because it's on the radio every 5 minutes and the TV every 17 minutes thanks to the Charlie St. Cloud trailer. I do confess that I never change it though. Yet. Noteworthy: Eminem has been referenced twice now in just as many weeks. Please, if I ever mention that I'm job hunting in Detroit, stage an intervention.

Grace Flows Down by Passion band (but really it's Christy Nockels' voice and I love her voice). Grace covers me. Every single day. I never want to forget the source.

Now accepting suggestions for new tunes.

No comments: