Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Soundtrack.

I love music. It has always been a major part of my life. As I think back to different periods in my life it seems that there were always songs to accompany it. A soundtrack, if you will. For example, Swingin' by John Anderson was the very first song that I memorized all the words to when I was a little bitty girl. I had the 45. Anytime I hear Friends in Low Places by Garth Brooks, I go back to the 6th grade and our boy/girl parties. Smoke and Ashes by Tracy Chapman? College. Late night studying with Mag at Huddle House. Iris by the GooGoo Dolls was the very first song played at our RC formal during my freshman year of college. Not only do specific songs bring back memories, but so do specific artists. I am reminded of people or events or stages in life. I will never hear a Bob Segar song again without thinking of my daddy. Allison Krauss and Union Station...fall in Dahlonega. These days whenever I hear the Zac Brown Band on the radio, I feel as if I have had one too many shots of tequila [hypothetically speaking]. As in I'm ready to fight and then I'm immediately nauseous. I'm optimistic that this is just a temporary condition though.

So, because this post requires less thought than the others that I've started but haven't finished over the last few days, I'm going to share with you all my current soundtrack. Enjoy. Oh, and did I mention that there would be commentary to accompany the soundtrack? Given my natural propensity towards verbosity that should come as no surprise. One more thing: I'm going to try to hyperlink each title to a place on the web where you can hear the song for yourself. What a great way to spend part of your work day! You're welcome.

Healing is in Your Hands by Christy Nockels. I heard this song for the first time at church on Sunday. God is in the little things, even the timing of songs, because he knows all about the big things.

Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri. Since we became friends in college, my pal Maggie has always introduced me to the greatest songs. She also introduced me to way fancy and stylish jeans and mini-cigars but we'll talk about that another day. She heard this one the other night on SYTYCD and immediately thought of me. She's thoughtful like that. And I'm thankful for her thoughtfulness.

Alejandro by Lady GaGa. Warning: DO NOT watch this video at work. Or ever unless you want permanent scarring to your eyes. I'll be honest, when I saw this video on the VH1 Top 20 Countdown last Saturday during the time of day when most 6 year olds are watching The Smurfs, I was more than a little uncomfortable. I just can't help but love the song though. [Please. Check the plank in your eye before you point out the sawdust in mine.] Even though I don't understand it at all. Who is Roberto? And Fernando? Why do I keep expecting her to bust out with "All that she wants is another baby" at some point in the song? Does it not sound a teensy bit Ace of Base-ish? Why is her name Lady GaGa? It should come as no surprise that I'm a little bit intrigued with her given the special place on my iPod that I had reserved for Britney a few years back. What can I say? I like train wrecks set to music.

Love the Way you Lie by Eminem featuring Rihanna. [Speaking of train wrecks set to music.] Ok, so Eminem lost me at the turn of the century with The Real Slim Shady. However he might have me back with this song. I'm sure it helps that I would listen to Rihanna sing the phonebook though because I love her voice. I can't help it. This song is so new that I couldn't find it on YouTube yet. It makes me sad that what this song depicts is so common in everyday life. I pray that I never, ever know firsthand what an abusive relationship is like. I pray that the people who do eventually find the strength to get out of them.

King of Anything by Sara Bareilles. It's catchy. And SO much better than that first single of hers about not writing a love song because they asked for it. Talk about overkill on the radio. I fear that this one will be worn like a pair of faded Levi's soon enough, but I'll enjoy it until that day comes.

Glitter in the Air by P!nk. I mean, did you see her performance of this on the Grammy's a couple of months ago? It was like Cirque de Soleil a la punk girl. Loved it. I do wish that she did not go by the name Pink though because I find it hard to take her music seriously. Well, as seriously as music played on Top 40 radio should be taken. But her real name is Alecia Moore. Sounds like someone I went to elementary school with. Maybe her marketing people knew best after all.

Undo It by Carrie Underwood. Is it a little ironic that this song is topping charts as she is beginning her very own happily ever after? Typically I'm not a fan of angry girl power music but to everything there is a season. [Come on, it's not like I'm spinning Alanis 24/7 or anything.] Besides it sure is fun to dance around my living room in my gold dress and tall black boots while singing into my gold microphone.

Southern Voice by Tim McGraw. I will admit that Tim is a little red for me, but this song reminds me that while you can take the girl out of Georgia, you can't take the Georgia out of the girl. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I love that I was raised to say "ma'm" and "sir". I love that I can make some of the best sweet tea that you'll ever drink. I love that "y'all" is a part of my vocabulary.

Half of my Heart by John Mayer. This song should have been dedicated to me on Delilah's radio show. In February.

The Sound of Sunshine by Michael Franti & Spearhead. How can you not dance when you hear this song? It makes me happy. And I love it when everything smells like suntan lotion.

Well, that's this week's Top 10. Some of them stick out to me because the lyrics have more meaning to me during this particular season than they would have during another. Some of them I just enjoy because they happen to have a sweet beat. What's on your soundtrack these days?

No comments: