Monday, January 2, 2012

9 Noteworthy Novels.

Let me start today's post by publicly acknowledging that not all of my picks are novels and the argument can even be made that they aren't exactly noteworthy, but some occasions call for alliteration over accuracy. I think most political campaigns are founded on this notion.

As long as I can remember, I have been a bookworm. I vividly remember one night when I was just a little bitty thing getting so frustrated that I could not read the words in a book myself that my dear old dad stayed up with me until I essentially memorized the words so that I could "read". I was 12. Oh, kidding. By the time I reached 12 I had progressed to that uber cool phase in life when I read books at the dinner table because I could not put the latest Sweet Valley High read down long enough to actually carry on a conversation with my family. I blame the tortoise shell glasses for ushering in that socially awkward stage of my life.

Sometimes I read because it forces me to think more deeply. For example, John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. Other times I read because I need an outlet that requires minimal brain activity. For example, that two week period when I read all four books in the Twilight Saga. [I like to make sure that my low points in life are really low.]

I have read and read and read and then read some more this year. In fact, all of this guilt-free recreational reading has been one of the biggest perks of post-graduate school life. None of my selected reads that I am about to share with you will be found on the New York Times 100 Best Novels list, but I did just read the entire list so I'm sure that counts as something intellectual.

1. Plan B by Pete Wilson. No, this is not a book about an alternative and controversial form of contraception. I accidentally stumbled upon this book when the local Borders was going out of business. It's quite extreme to say that a book changed my life, but it certainly changed my attitude and perspective. We all have plans for our lives. Very rarely do those plans unfold exactly as we anticipate and expect. When those plans disintegrate and we are left living in our unwelcome reality, it can be a rude awakening. So this is about our response and coming to the realization that maybe, just maybe God's plan is actually much greater.

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I read this book on Christmas night. As in started it around 6:00 and finished it around 2:30 in the morning. So the next day I read Catching Fire. Then I kind of lost steam because it took me from Tuesday until Friday to read Mockingjay. Reading this trilogy confirmed two things: I can read at a middle school reading level and I'm still about as cool as I was 20 years ago. However, these books were fantastic. Read them if you haven't already. Seriously.

3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Nothing like showing up two years late to a party, huh? I am confident that I was the absolute last thirty-something female born and raised South of the Mason-Dixon and East of the Mississippi to read this book. I cried. I laughed. I cringed. "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." If only every little girl could grow up hearing this message from someone who loves them because maybe, just maybe, one day we all would believe it.

4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I decided to read this to see if it was worth all the hype. I fought heavy eyelids and sleep to get through the first 150 pages or so before I began to understand. Upon finishing it, I immediately went to my local bookseller and purchased The Girl Who Played with Fire which took me all of three days to finish. I haven't read the third one yet, but I'll get around to it when it's released in paperback. Pure smut? Eh, not really, but they certainly aren't Karen Kingsbury classics either. I read them the week that I had a double ear-infection, pink eye, and no voice. That was also the week that Prince William and Kate Middleton got married. In case you were wondering.

5. Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close. This is a must-read for any girl who has ever been in more weddings than she has the fingers to count them on or has navigated her mid-to-late 20s and early 30s feeling like everyone else has their acts together and somehow she missed the memo on how getting said act together actually happens. I read this upon the recommendation from a pal who I defer to for all political, food, music, and literary insight. I'm surprised she hasn't started billing me yet.

6. The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship by Lisa Verge Higgins. Another Borders going-out-of-business find, but I loved this book because in it I saw my own friendships with my own group of girls who I treasure so very much. Maybe I'll write a book one day and my friendships with them will be the topic. I'm sure they'll all just love that.

7. Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews. I read this at the beach back in the summer, and it is the perfect beach read. Especially if Savannah happens to be one of your favorite cities in your home state.

8. Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. I've read a couple of her books, and while I do not categorize her as being another Danielle Steel or Jodi Picoult, she reminds me of them in the sense that just as it's a guarantee that a Danielle Steel book is going to be about some woman who lost everything and then with the help of a dashing gentleman rebuilds her life or that a Jodi Picoult book is going to be about some tragedy involving a child or teenager, Hannah's books are about the dynamic of family relationships. Specifically, the females in a family. Predictable and easy to read...a great cure for the television rerun season blahs.

9. John, Chapters 1-10 from The B-I-B-L-E. Confession: I am terrible at reading The Bible. BUT, lately I've discovered that the more you read it, the easier it becomes to understand. Also, I've learned that turning off the VH1 Top 20 countdown during reading time minimizes the opportunity for distractions. [It's appropriate to roll your eyes now because I would certainly roll my eyes at such a "realization".] Anywho, a couple of months ago, I discovered a series that Louie Giglio is in the middle of at his church called "Word". Essentially, he's going through the entire book of John one chapter at a time and sums up each chapter in one word. During the summer he did the first six chapters, and he just did four more last month. I like it because he offers clear explanations of the scripture while keeping my attention through his wit and humor. But you don't have to take my word for it. I recommend that you check it out for yourself from this link. [You'll have to scroll through the messages to get to them. Series: Word. First one is back in June.]

Enough with reading this blog of mine. Get out there and read some books! And let me know what you're reading because my "to-read" list is getting a little slim. Incidentally that's the only thing in my life that gets slim this time of year. Well, other than my checking account.

2 comments:

ewanless said...

I'm just glad I have my next 9 books planned out for me...thanks!

Jenny said...

Would you ban me from your friendship if I admitted to not really enjoying reading? Especially fiction?