Thursday, April 23, 2009

Something tells me that Zumba and Music City don't jive.

A couple of weeks ago my work pal, Erin, invited me to join her at the gym to attend the Friday afternoon Zumbathon. It made perfect sense to attend considering I was technically "in training" for a half-marathon so certainly anything ending with the suffix "-thon" happening at the gym would be just the addition to my training regiment [I throw this phrase around a bit carelessly.] that I needed. It turns out that I absolutely loved the class. So much so that I'm pretty sure I'll be a dancer in JT's show by the time he decides to get his happy feet back out on the concert circuit. Or not. Now for those of you who aren't up on all of the latest fitness trends coming out of Miami, Zumba is an aerobic exercise routine inspired by Latin Dance (thanks, Wikipedia). Don't be fooled...this is not your mama's Jazzercise, people. It is all sorts of fun and a great chance to work the muscles that treadmills, bikes, and elliptical machines neglect. I've become a bit of a "regular", if you will, missing only one class offered during the times that I can go in the past two weeks.

Even though I'm all about it, I fear that my newly discovered fitness fun may result in a bit of a problem for my immediate future. This is because my feet are a little sore from Zumba overkill. It turns out that I'm really going to need these feet to take a 13.1 mile stroll through Nashville on Saturday morning. Back in December at Mag's 30th when Katie and I decided to celebrate [read: remain in denial over] our shared 30th birthday by running the Country Music Half-Marathon in April it seemed like the best idea I've ever had. Now I blame the sugar from the cake and ice cream for impairing my ability to make a wise decision. I should have considered the fact that I would choose to stay at home and watch reruns of Two and a Half Men instead of running during those long winter months. But really it's not going to be about how quickly I complete my paid walking tour of Nashville where I'm given water and Cytomax [which sounds like Ecto-cooler's 3rd cousin if you ask me] all along the way. It's about the fun that I'm about to have with one of my favorite friends. In a fun town. With other fun people we know. And all the fun famous people we're bound to run into along the way.

No comments: