Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mag

Even though she isn't officially three decades old until the 2nd, on Sunday evening a few fun folks gathered over at the Muschara home to celebrate Maggie and her birthday. I hear that an aerated cake has fewer calories and is healthier for you...
Jason led us all in singing Happy Birthday...
Ok, in reality he was the only one singing for some reason. I can't say what the others were doing, but I was too busy concentrating on taking pictures and watching to see how this scene was going to unfold to think about singing...
Please note the blurriness of the above picture. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that small children holding balloons makes me beyond nervous. Have I mentioned that I very much dislike the sound of popping balloons? So the only thing worse than a small child with balloons is a small child with balloons in proximity to a moving ceiling fan...
I'm going to have to toughen up if I ever have kiddos because I'm pretty sure depriving your children of balloons isn't a good idea. I'm happy to report that no balloons lost their helium during the party.
What? It's his mommy's party. He can cry if he wants to.
No worries...it was nothing that couldn't be made better quickly by mommy and some cake. (seriously...isn't this baby boy too cute?) The party was also a great chance for me to catch up with some super fun people like these two...
I can't even remember the last time I saw Jeffrey. So when I see him again eons from now and we wonder how long it's been since we've seen each other, we can simply refer to this blog posting. Or not. It so happens that Katie and I were born on the same day nearly three decades ago...
So we made plans for how we are going to celebrate our next one together in a few months. Let's just say it does not involve a night at Loco's with our closest NGCSU friends and it does involve Music City and a long stroll. Maybe I'll encounter a sun lamp while I'm there and add some color to my ghostly white hue. Enough chatter about my fair skin.
At what point do college friends become lifelong, old friends? Is it when we are 30 and rarely go 3 days without talking to each other? If that's the case, then Maggie and I have definitely reached lifelong friends status. (as if she had a choice of losing me) We've grown and changed so much in the past 11 years. But I'm glad that we have grown closer as friends instead of farther apart like it is so easy to do when you no longer live on the same hall in the same dorm and see each other at least a dozen times a day.
Just as no two people are the same, no two friendships are the same either. Mag is my night owl friend who I never hesitate to call late if I need to. Or early in the morning...she doesn't really require much sleep either. I give her credit for helping me develop my eclectic music taste in college. She understands me. I understand her. It's a comfortable friendship. We seldom disagree, but when we ask each other for an honest opinion, we share it without reservation. She pronounces "oil", "foil", and "boil" the same exact way I do. We laugh. We cry. We rejoice. We pray. We encourage when the other is discouraged. We talk (a lot, if one was to ask her husband). And I have a sneaky suspicion that we're never going to run out of anything to talk about with each other. So Happy Birthday, my friend. I'll talk to you soon.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Thank you so much HP! This post definitely brought a smile to my face just 6 minutes before I officially turn 30...you did mention the night owl thing! I love you and truly do cherish our friendship more than you will ever know!

Kate said...

Ok, if your 30th Birthday includes a trip to Music City, you better let me know!! I would love to meet up with you guys...

Jenny said...

You're one of the best friends that I know. They are truly blessed to have you.

Suzanna said...

So sweet, HP. Happy birthday, Maggie!

I don't think I realized Maggie pronounced oil, foil, and boil the way you do, but I can totally hear you saying those words, and they all almost rhyme with bowl. Funny.

Angel said...

Very sweet dedication! I *finally* responded to your tag. I knew I'd get around to it eventually. Enjoy this week!

Angel said...

(second try- my first comment didn't post.) Very sweet dedication! I *finally* responded to your tag. I knew I'd get around to it...