Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Great 08 Clean-Out

Today I'm going to allow you all to take a glimpse into a part of my life that I don't typically share with the free world...
I think that you can tell a lot about a girl by her closet. They say that eyes are the windows to the soul. I beg to differ. The good news is I'm no longer quite as compulsive about the organization of my closet as I once was. I like to think this translates into a more mellow me. It's a nice thought. Prior to going home for Christmas I was hanging some things up when I noticed that the shelf on the left side was starting to break away from the wall. So I mentally prepared myself to arrive back to my humble abode only to find half of my closet contents dumped into the floor in complete disarray. It was nothing short of a Christmas miracle that this tragedy of epic proportions did not happen. Monday afternoon I decided that I could not press my luck any further so I began the arduous (is that word appropriate here?) task of cleaning out my closet. Little did I know at the time that I would need the extra space for the new skinny jeans that I would purchase only a couple of hours later. [Sign #25 of the Apocalypse: HP has skinny jeans hanging in her closet.] Anytime I clean out my closet I use the rule of "If it hasn't been worn in a year, I'll never miss it" to determine what goes and what stays. This is the result after about 15 minutes...And here are all the discarded clothes before being shipped off to Goodwill...

I know...I have a ridiculous amount of clothes and I understand that I'm very fortunate to have the "problem" of full closet shelves. I also have a problem with discarding this shirt...When I was in high school I vowed to myself that I would never become one of those adults who got stuck in the rut of dressing the same way that they dressed in college for the rest of their lives. Turns out that I've had this shirt since college. And for whatever reason I love it. I still wear it 8 years later despite the fact that it has always fit me crookedly because of the way it is sown. (It's obvious how crooked it is just by looking at it!) Something tells me that I can't really rock it with my new skinny jeans and tall boots, but when I pulled it off the hanger to throw into the discard pile I just couldn't let go. So much for "out with the old, in with the new".

Have I ever mentioned that Cash's 2nd most favorite thing in the world to chew is a hanger?Needless to say this was more exciting for him than all the wrapping paper on Christmas morning.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Remind me the next time you do this so that I can come and catch some good finds as you throw them out of your closet and into mine :)

Lindsey Oliver said...

I kid you not... Luke's most favorite thing to chew is a hanger, too!

Happy New Year!