Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ice - Custard - Happiness

Yesterday, Suz and Caroline came to Athens for an early Christmas celebration. And oh what fun we had! Just look...I think I called her Beaker one too many times. Please forgive me, sweet baby, but your hair is just too cute. After a great lunch at Aqua Linda we loaded Caroline back up in the truck. Side note: the fact that Suzanna is driving a big truck right now really makes me giggle. Kind of like the time I giggled all the way to Savannah with her when she drove her parents' Expedition. I was not giggling when I was the one responsible for navigating that baby out of the parking deck right off of River Street though. After getting Caroline settled we remembered that right next door to the restaurant was this...And seriously, is there a better way to clear one's palate from chips and salsa than with frozen custard? I hardly think so. So we proceeded to unload Caroline (actually I just observed) and took off in hot pursuit of more calories. Now, here is where I'll be candid and honest - until yesterday I had never had frozen custard. And just the word "custard" kind of kicks my gag reflex into overdrive due to my ridiculous food aversion that I will not discuss with you all here in the blogosphere. So I wasn't convinced that I was going to experience the ice custard happiness that Rita so boldly declared, but I was up for the adventure. Besides it was about 83 degrees outside (or really 63...too warm for December, regardless) so I needed a nice cool treat to beat the heat. I loved the green apple Italian ice-like-stuff and not just because it matched my shirt perfectly...it tasted great. However I can totally do without the frozen custard. In the future I'll stick with frozen confections of the milk and cream and sugar variety sans eggs just as God intended.
I'm pretty convinced that Suz and I are going to have our own Saturday Night Live skit one day because she's one of the funniest people I know, and I crack myself up on a semi-regular basis so personally I think it's a winning combination. Even if we never make it in the big city though, I'm so glad to know that we will be celebrating holidays and the regular days for many years to come, and I'm sure that we'll be laughing all the way. And that's happiness.

3 comments:

Alison said...

beaker....hahahahaha!

I'm not really a fan of frozen ice or custard. I'm more into the sweet goodness of Cold Stone Creamery.

Suzanna said...

This is so sweet--I am always flattered that you consider me so funny because I'm not. You are the only one I ever expect to see on SNL. But, what IS funny is Beaker's hair in that picture of the three of us in Rita's. And the fact that we had the Rita's girl come out from behind the counter to do a full on photo shoot.

I loved our Mexican, big truck, custard swirled Christmas celebration! Almost as good as crying in our Panera hot chocolate cups last year. Can't wait to see what kind of celebration next year brings!

Lots of love to you!

allison said...

custard huh? worse than mayonaise?