Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thinking Back. Looking Ahead.

I just love a new year. It's a great opportunity to reflect upon the previous year and look forward to what is in store for the next one. Inevitably there are always things that happen in a period of 12 months that I could have never in my (limited) imagination thought possible. For instance...
-Britney Spears is not only still alive but she's back. And some would say she's better than ever.
-I own a dog. In an apartment.
-I completed 2 half-marathons in one year.
-Athens is beginning to feel like home.
-Grey's Anatomy is no longer a show that I refuse to miss.
-I no longer have to promise my first-born child to the oil companies each time I fill up my car.


With each new year, I am usually very hopeful about what is in store for my life. It can be unnerving at times because like so many others, I just want to know how things are going to turn out. My friend Allison reads the end of the book first. Haven't we all wished that we could do that in our lives at some point in time? But then think about all that we would miss leading up to those events that we so desire. I've decided that life is kind of like Algebra in some regards. It's sequential and if you jump ahead without having a strong understanding of one part, then it's only so long before you're in over your head. Trust me on this one - I took Algebra I twice because I didn't really get it the first time around in middle school.

Each year I can look back on blessings that I never even thought possible. Or that I never even thought about praying for. This only reaffirms to me that God truly does have our best interest in mind. He knows our needs so much better than we do. So I wish you all a very Happy New Year. 2009...it's gonna' be fine! (Perhaps I should resolve to quit making dumb rhymes.)

No comments: