Thursday, November 27, 2008

13.1 in Numbers (and Pictures)...(and Words)

13.1 = miles in a half-marathon
3 = hours of sleep that I got prior to getting up this morning to run 13.1 miles
47 = minutes we waited around outside in the cold before beginning the race
600 = milligrams of ibuprofen I took this morning prior to the run (quite possibly my best decision of the day)
37 = songs that played on my iPod during the race
11 = mile in which both quads and my calves cramped up all at the same time
2 = half-marathons that I ran in 2008
6.5 = minutes LESS that I ran today than I ran at the ING in March

I'll be honest. Last night at 1:01 when I looked at the clock one last time before falling asleep I questioned not only my sanity but my ability to begin a half-marathon in less than 6 hours. At 4:14 when I dragged out of bed this morning, I was a bundle of nerves. I was frustrated with myself for not preparing better. I remembered how cold my hands were last time and the pain that my feet were in for days after the ING. So I did what anyone with such positive thoughts would do; I got in the car and headed over to Val's with my Carnation instant breakfast, bagel and banana in tow. Her parents were kind enough to drive us down to the ATL, but before leaving we had a mini photo shoot...
You can see from this picture that I wasn't kidding about getting three hours of sleep. I was not bright-eyed. I'm so glad that I have a friend like Valerie. She is always around to help me with the difficult things in life...
After a quick and traffic free ride into the city, we found ourselves standing in a dark parking lot surrounded by porta-potties with a few thousand of our closest running friends...
Valerie is kind of a rockstar when it comes to running half-marathons. She definitely finished before I did.
It was probably my headband that slowed me down...
Highly unlikely. That headband and my mittens made my little stroll so much more enjoyable though, I wouldn't care if they did slow me down. When running, I refuse to look at my watch until I get to a mile-marker, but I got really nervous shortly after starting. Generally I can pace myself pretty well so I have kind of idea of how far I've run in a period of time, but I had yet to see a mile marker so I thought "geez, if we haven't even run a mile yet, I'm never going to finish this thing." The Columbo boys from North Georgia had passed me pretty quickly with their rucksacks on their backs so I was not feeling too confident. But then I determined that they are Hooah and I'm not so much so they should be able to run with rucksacks on their backs. A few seconds later though I saw Mile Marker 2...hallelujah! And then 3...and then 4...and then I made it to the Wachovia building at Mile 5. Before too long I was at Phipps and Lenox (even though I missed the great tree!) and then the most fun thing happened...I saw Maggie's husband, Wes, and her sister, Ashley, just up ahead so I caught up to say hello. We were quickly approaching the infamous hill in the Peachtree known as Cardiac Hill which I was not excited about in the least. It was at this point that I had to slow to a slight crawl, but I was still on track to beat my previous half-marathon time. Honestly I was shocked. But I still had 6 miles to go so I tried not to get too optimistic. By Mile 10 though I knew that barring any major snafu, I would beat my first time. Major snafu being something like me falling in a pothole or getting hit by oncoming traffic or something else such as my quads and calves all cramping up at the same time with just under 2 miles to go. But that would never happen so I was golden. And then exactly that happened. And I wanted to cry. But I didn't because there's no crying in half-marathon running. Besides the tears would be cold on my face. So I forged along and prayed and was thankful for the Jesus music that happened to shuffle into play on my iPod.
Even though I missed pretty obvious and blatant landmarks such as these that I ran past because I was so "in the zone"...
I was never more happy to see this...
because I knew that the end was definitely near. This fact could only mean one thing: that I was just moments from getting this...We Made It! Maybe I'm good for 2 half-marathons per year, after all.

Note: Special thanks to Valerie's mom, Brenda, for many of the great pictures you see here in this post!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's incredible HP! Sad thing is - i don't think I can run 13 feet even if 13 songs are playing and it's 62 degrees outside:)

But i did eat 13 pounds of food yesterday!!

you are AWESOME!!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, Heather! You did a great job despite the 3-hour sleep, freezing cold weather, playlist-unfriendly ipod, and dark porta-potties! I'm so glad we have these adventures together! :0) (P.S... I had 400 mg of Advil last night myself...)

Anonymous said...

The B's are super proud of you PAGE! :)
kevin

Joni said...

Way to go Heather! That is awesome!

Em O-W said...

so 37 songs, huh? Ryan has that Nike-iPod running thing, and was so scared to change the song b/c it would mess up his tracker that he listened to 1:54 minutes of Jimmy Buffet. Not sure about you, but Jimmy's not my idea of pump-up musice. Congrats again, you looked great!