Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm a Georgia Voter

When I woke up this morning, I wasn't really sure what this day would bring. I was filled with a mixture of emotions ranging from excitement and hope to uncertainty. Up until yesterday I was trying to determine if I was going to vote before going into the office or if I would go to work first just because this is not the best week for me to be away from my desk for an extended period of time. However I was banking on my previous theory that there would be no lines at the polls today since all of those early voters did all the waiting over the past couple of weeks. So I took a chance and went to work first. It was there that a few of my co-workers advised me to call the dermatologist to see if I could get an appointment today after I asked for their expert medical opinion about a small chain of mountains that had popped up on the side of my face. More on that later...

Around 9:00 I decided to go ahead and vote. I arrived at my voting precinct around 9:20. During the drive over I mentally prepared myself that I would more than likely have to wait a long time so I must be patient. Considering I was a Brownie Girl Scout, I went prepared with a new book to read. Sure, I should have taken a school book, but Marley and Me was so much more appealing when I saw it on sale at Publix this morning. By 9:35, I was back in my car proudly wearing an "I'm a Georgia Voter" sticker on my red shirt. What can I say? I like to dress appropriately for special occasions. I was a little disheartened that I didn't get to read any of my new book, but the pride that I was feeling from exercising democracy far outweighed that. Besides, I had a doctor's appointment in just a couple of hours which guaranteed a lot of time would be spent waiting. You know, there really is something liberating about voting. I know that I've said it before, but I don't think that it can ever be said enough...I'm so thankful that I live in a land where I have the freedom to make such decisions.

The rest of the morning was a whirlwind and then I headed over to the dermatologist's office. Verdict: I have shingles. On my face. Awesome. Nothing 3000 mg of medicine per day can't handle. According to the dermo it will not spread anymore than it already has. Nor will it scar. Nor will it be too painful since I caught it early. I'm cautiously optimistic. At least I got a lot of recreational reading done.

Of course I worked late (read: cleaned my desk and then blogged about a clean desk) before I headed home to settle in and watch the returns. My political advisor, Emily, who I work with, was so kind to print off a blank map and another map with the projections going into the election for some of us at work to follow along with at home and color in as the states were called. This amounted to all kinds of fun for the girl who keeps her NCAA playoff bracket by her computer each year during March Madness. When I wasn't on the phone with Maggie or my mom or texting Allison, I spent much of my evening like this...

Please note the lapboard that I am using from my Phi Mu days. Kelly, if by some chance you are reading this, I hope it makes you proud that I still use it! Right before 11:00 EST my map looked like this...
but then to be quite honest I didn't feel like using up all the blue ink from my marker to color the entire left coast. Like I said before, I don't really "talk politics" with those who are outside of my inner circle so I'm not going to choose this moment when I'm sleepy to begin. However, I will share my initial feelings. Honestly, my hope and excitement from earlier today has been replaced with more uncertainty. I realize that I must be proactive in educating myself even more on the new President-elect so I fully understand his policies and how these policies will impact the people I love and myself. I'm also burdened for the country and the people who comprise it. I have been for awhile, but this burden is so much greater now. This means that I must commit to pray regularly for this home that I love so much....including all of our leaders. I hope that others will join me in this. As a Christian, the one thing that I always have in spite of the uncertainty that I feel or the burdens that I carry is hope. Hope in something much bigger than even the most powerful leader in the free world. And when I rest in that knowledge, I'm not quite as uncertain as I was just a little while ago.


We all knew that history would be made either way during this election year which is exciting to think about. Change would inevitably take place. Research shows that people resist change more than they embrace it. Time will tell.

"...one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

2 comments:

Maggie said...

HP, After our worrisome talks last night, well the last 3 nights...I too want to commit to pray for this nation and rest in the hope of someone so much greater (like you said).

Angel said...

Hey, doll. I had to skim over your blog b/c of three little girls, but I wanted to write real quick. I know I missed some important points, so I may be repeating here some of what you wrote.

Who would of thought that after 9/11 our next President would be a man named Barack Hussein Obama with a Muslim past? I am mystified by the irony in this. One thing gives me peace, and that is God was and is always in control. My trust is not in this nation that after so many decades has failed us; nor can our trust rest fully in any president regardless of party lines, but my trust rests fully in the Lord. After the "honeymoon" is over, it will be a very interesting 4 years. As with any presidency, there will be good and bad. And I can go on and on about why I don't agree with Obama, but the Lord knows exactly why He put him in the White House.

I like what you said about hope...thanks for sharing your wisdom. Now I can't concentrate anymore...my brain is like water coming from a faucet. Turn it on, it all flows out...kinda like rambling (like I'm doing now)...then as soon as you turn it off, it's gone...all gone.

LOVE YOU!!!!!