Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Son. A Brother. A Friend. An Uncle.

Three years ago yesterday a young man by the name of Evan left this world and went to his forever home in Heaven. You see, Evan is my dear friend, Suzanna's baby brother. A couple of weeks ago I asked Suz if I could write about Evan. At the time I wasn't really sure what I was going to write and honestly I'm still not. This is the 5th time I've sat down to write in 3 days. Normally when I blog, if the words don't come pretty easily I just scrap that post and forget it forever. However this post is different because you can't just forget a person like you can ideas so it is important that I finish it. Probably one reason why I'm struggling to find the words is because there are none in the dictionary that can truly sum up a person's life. Words are one-dimensional while people are three-dimensional.

In my mind, Evan will always be Suzanna's cute little brother. Evan was about 12 or 13 when Suz and I first became friends during our freshman year of college. I met her entire family one night when they were in Dahlonega for something...probably some sort of Honors Dinner knowing my smart gal pal. I immediately felt comfortable around her family because they reminded me very much of my own. In fact over the years, Suz and I have compared stories between Evan and my brother, Ethan. Even though there is an 8 year age difference, those two boys were cut from the same cloth. Adventurous...strong-willed...fun-loving...daring...all boy to the core. Suzanna wrote a great tribute to Evan yesterday and I would encourage you all to check it out here to see what a great young man he was.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend some time with Suzanna and her family out at Granny and Pop's house. (Side note: I love the fact that I now live so close to Suzanna's family because if I can't be close to my own, her's is a great stand-in.) One can easily see the love that this family has for each other by the way that they treat each other and enjoy spending time together. I know that beyond a shadow of a doubt that Evan lived his entire life knowing that he was surrounded by grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, a mama, a daddy, and a sister who will always love him. I believe that being raised in a loving home and environment is one of the greatest gifts a child can ever be given because in turn, that child learns to love others and love life. That is exactly what Evan did during his short 20 years here. And this world is better for it.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

5th times a charm Heather...I know that Suzanna will love this post and that you have been great support and encouragement for her.

Angel said...

just catching up...I think this post is beautifully written. you are a wonderful and dear friend. i know this means (and you mean) a lot to suz and her family...

Laurie said...

Thank you for your sweet words about Evan HP.

Suzanna said...

Wow--I'm behind in my blog reading. Heather, this is so sweet--I don't really know what to say. I've told you before, but if I didn't have friends like you, I don't know how I could have stood the weird lonley-like feeling that comes from losing your sibling(s). Friends and cousins take on a whole new role, and I am so so so thankful for you.