Friday, November 21, 2008

Doggie Doping

On Wednesday I dropped Cash off at the Athens Regional Spay and Neuter Clinic and needless to say, he will never be the same. Yesterday morning when I went to pick him up, one of the staff members reviewed the post-op instructions with me and I was with her until she said "No running, jumping, or rowdy playing for the next 7-10 days and keep him indoors." Being the Labrador Retriever that he is, I'm pretty sure that we were home for maybe 7 minutes before he felt the need to jump up and "retrieve" something from the kitchen counter.

Last night I was able to keep him relatively still by feeding him. However it's probably not the best I idea I've ever had to give him a Kong full of peanut butter, 2 servings of Frosty Paws and a 30" bully stick in addition to his regular meal and treats in a matter of about 4 hours. Besides if he continued to eat at that rate for the next 7-10 days, I would have to get a second job.

So today I'm trying a new approach: I'm drugging him. Now I'm not a proponent of drugs, but if I've got to keep this dog relatively contained for any period of time at all, one of us has to be on them. Earlier this afternoon I went to Target for the sole purpose of buying him his very own box of Benadryl. One hour and 50 mg later, he looks very much like this... Except he's in the floor where dogs belong instead of own my pillow where dogs don't belong, yet he always seems to find a way to get there whenever I get up in the morning. (Yes, I'm a pushover. Yes, I'm eating my words. Yes you all were right, Allison and Maggie...and Emily...and everyone else who said I would let him take over my bed.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember that with Max, but man the benadryl does nothing for him...that is when we can get him to swallow it! After about 2 days I gave up and figured there was nothing more I could do...good luck!

Alyssa said...

Poor baby! But don't you love when the drugs make them all calm and sweet? He is such a cute little guy! But, I like all baby animals. I have no discretion. It's really a problem.

A Cincy Mama said...

Poor Cash. After we had Walker neutered C kept looking at him and saying "I'm sorry, boy" in this really sympathetic, guy to guy tone.

Jenny said...

We thought the same thing with Ella. "How in the world." But she ended up being OK even with a bit of jumping. We did, however, postpone her walkes and such. Do what you can, but don't get too worried about it.