Tuesday, May 26, 2009

So much for deeply thoughtful material.

Remember how at the end of my last post, I indicated that I was going to post something rich with meaning and thought? Well - that was my original intent. However, I am notorious for starting a post and then just never finishing it. Either I get distracted [as was the case in the most recent draft because obviously I had not taken into consideration that the American Idol finale would be on TV] or else once I sit down and start writing, the words just aren't there. Call me non-effusive.

Currently I have 30 drafts of unfinished and unpublished blog postings in the queue. I'll never finish them, but tonight I thought that it would be fun to post a little sampling of some of these drafts. Remember: "Fun" is entirely subjective so what's fun for me might not be fun for you. All that to say before reading further, you've been duly warned.

June 29, 2008: Well Done My Child, Well Done - This is a song that is sung in the church that I grew up in and the basic point is that as Christians when we stand before God in judgment, he will welcome us home and tell us well done. Lately though I've been thinking about just how well I'm doing and how much room [Obviously not very well considering I couldn't even finish that sentence. Sheesh.]

July 26, 2008: Apartment Living - I've decided that living in an apartment complex is a great study in the behaviors and patterns of people. Wait...isn't there a fancy name for this? Sociology? Yes, that's it! (says the girl with a degree in Psychology) In my year of apartment living I have had the opportunity to make a few observations and come to the following conclusions:
There are some people in this world who must get paid for doing nothing. I swear, there are some people who never leave. Maybe they are independently wealthy and this is where they have chosen to reside. Afterall, it is a gated community with a pool.
[Note: should I ever attain independent wealth, I will choose not to reside here...maybe it's the close proximity to Logan's and Rugged Warehouse that is the draw for these characters.]
The most innocent looking people are often the biggest trouble makers. My next door neighbor has been arrested no less than three times since I've lived here. It was an especially exciting night when the Athens-Clarke County version of Dog the Bounty Hunter came to me asking if I knew him or where he was. Um...probably at Publix bagging groceries since that's where I usually see him. I was oh so curious as to why he kept getting arrested. Not that I really feared for my safety because I'm pretty sure that I could take him. Seriously. But nonetheless, if there's going to be a meth lab that explodes next door to me one night, I would like to have a little advanced warning. Turns out he just bounces a bunch of checks and steals gas from gas stations. Which totally solves the mystery as to how he can work at Publix and afford to live here. [Note: nearly a year later, said neighbor has since been evicted...kind of makes for dull Friday nights now.]


August 22, 2008 - Naps. I love them. I need them. They make me happy. [And apparently I opted to take one instead of continuing to write about them.]

November 10, 2008 - If I had a million dollars. The series that my church is going through right now is about how to be rich. Not how to get rich, but how to be rich. Last week when I got to church and found out the topic I thought to myself "um, I guess this means I can skip the next 3 weeks of church because this obviously does not apply to me". According to Andy Stanley though I am rich so it was in my best interest to pay attention. Just a ploy to keep me in church if you ask me. Yesterday when I got to church the song "If I Had a Million Dollars"...yes, the secular Bare Naked Ladies song, was playing as people were coming in prior to the beginning of the service. I'm not so sure that it's kosher to play a song in church by a group with the phrase "bare naked" in their name either by the way, but I won't worry about that until I become a music minister. Ok, the thought of me as a music minister makes me laugh. Out loud. So I started thinking about what I would do if I had a million dollars. Of course I'm going to share it with you all, but please do not be disappointed when you read it because you will not find anywhere on the list that I will be purchasing anyone faux fur coats, monkeys or crazy elephant bones. If I had a million dollars...
1. I would immediately put more than half into savings. Or given the economy, put it in a coffee can and bury it in my future back yard.
2. I would continue to work because what else am I going to do with my time?
3. I would buy a house with some acreage. ...I'm a millionaire, I can afford to hire a lawn boy or at least a sweet riding mower so I can do the grunt work myself.
4. I would build a fence (read: I would hire someone to build a fence) so my dog would have a nice yard to run around in.
5. Speaking of dogs, I would get another one so Cash would have a friend. Probably another Lab or perhaps a
Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
6. I would buy a
red Volvo xc90 (otherwise known as my dream car) without a second thought. The price of gas is falling so bring on the premium unleaded.

[Hmmm...I suppose I realized that if I did in fact have a million dollars I could afford to buy a life and spare everyone, including myself, the boredom of reading this little blog o'mine.]

May 21, 2009 - It's a living. - Each spring, I get the opportunity to go to spend at least 4 or 5 of my week nights attending honors programs at local area high schools in order to present scholarships to deserving students who will be attending the college where I work at the following fall. I'll be honest - I much prefer to watch Two and a Half Men in syndication. Heck, I much prefer to watch reruns of the season of American Idol when Fantasia won.
On Tuesday I attended my last program for this school year, and boy...talk about saving the best for last. I was especially excited about this program prior to Tuesday because the last time I attended, I presented 2.5 hours after it began. I was told that the program began at 6:00 so I got there around 5:45 which was plenty of time to get checked in and wait for the show to start. I was walking through the parking lot minding my own business when I heard someone whistle. You know the kind of whistle I'm talking about. Like the kind you hear when a guy sees a scantily clad girl with long blonde hair and golden tan legs walking a puppy on a leash through the park. So it makes perfect sense that I of all people was whistled at as I walked through a high school parking lot wearing my professional best. I'm pretty sure that said whistler was the recipient of the "Coon Hunter's Association Scholarship" that evening.
[And to think, I didn't even mention the gun rack in the back of his truck nor did I get to the meaningful part about interviewing a student for a scholarship the next day at work who left his home country of Guatemala when he was 13 and traveled by himself through Mexico to get to the United States. I typically prefer not to be moved to tears at work, but this kid's story was absolutely incredible and humbling so of course I cried.]


So after spending 20 minutes composing this, I have reaffirmed for myself that it's best to leave all unfinished posts just as they were in order to spare you all the boredom of reading them. Sometimes I don't finish them because they pertain to a topic that I just need to work on personally without sharing it with the entire free world. Other times I don't finish them because they are lame. And other times I do just get distracted and come up with better things to do...like observe the interesting behaviors of my neighbors, or nap, or hang out in high school parking lots.

2 comments:

Angel said...

funny reading...i'm driving a volvo xc90 right now. ryan's company car. it's super duper nice. too bad Stiefel got bought out by GlaxoSmithKline for $2.6 Bil dollars. While the Stiefel family is sittin' pretty, Ryan and his other co-workers will be out of a job by summer's end. Niiiiiiiice. (More later...)

Em O-W said...

Really?!?! Really the season with Fantasia is preferred to honor's night? Simply shocking. Not shocking? That naps got a start of a posting all to it's own...everyone should recognize the greatness of naps. In honor of this post, I am now going to take a nap...