Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Soundtrack: Mixed Tape.

I do love a good mixed tape. Except I can't tell you the last time I actually listened to a cassette tape. Do y'all remember fast-forwarding and rewinding over and over again in order to get to the beginning of Blame It on the Rain? Honestly I don't know how we survived having to go through so much work for the sake of entertainment. The kids today have it so much easier with their iTunes playlists.

Mama Tried by Merle Haggard. They just don't make country songs like they used to, do they? As it turns out, I love a good graphic t-shirt almost as much as I love a good mixed tape which is why I think my closet would be much cuter with one of these 100% cotton girl-cut tee's hanging in it. Even though I didn't turn twenty-one in prison doing life without parole, apparently I still enjoy dressing like I'm twenty-one.

I Want My Mullet Back by Billy Ray Cyrus. This certainly answers my previous question. Earlier this week I saw someones Facebook status that said "I want my summer break back." For some reason this song popped right into my head and unfortunately, it's been there ever since. I quit trying to figure out why my mind works the way it does years ago. It would be in your best interest to never even begin to try.

Please Don't Leave Me by Pink. So I totally judged this song by its title. And the fact that it is performed by a girl who answers to a color. Then I heard it in church one Sunday. [Yes, you read correctly: Church.] Since I was in church, it wasn't like I could just skip forward to the next station like I normally do when I hear the "da dada da's" so I actually listened for once. And liked it. I also enjoy typing in choppy sentence fragments.

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
composed by Robert Robinson. Look, just because I go to a church that begins many services with secular music doesn't mean I'm a pagan. You can take the girl out of the little country Baptist church, but you can't take the Baptist out of the girl. There's nothing like an old hymn every now and again. I love the Jars of Clay version even though they only sing the 1st and 3rd verses. There is also a Friday Night Light's version that I find quite delightful. [It was in this most recent season's premiere episode]

Three Little Birds by Bob Marley & The Wailers. So simple. So true. So I'm not worrying about a thing. Except dying at the age of 36 from melanoma like Bob Marley did. [Not really, mom.]

Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin. I heard this on the way to work yesterday and as if acting upon cue, I immediately began looking around for my dearest Phi Mu sisters in order to circle up and sing our little hearts out along with Janis. Since they were nowhere to be found I considered the following questions instead: What was it about this song we loved so much? Was Janis really the best role model for young, impressionable college-aged women? Why do girls feel the need to gather in a circle and sing songs? If they no longer felt the need to do so, would the Greek system just immediately fall apart across college and university campuses nationwide?

Beg Steal or Borrow by Ray LaMontagne. His new CD was released this week. What are you waiting on? Go out and get it so I can beg to borrow it from you. Or else I'll steal it.

Everlong by Foo Fighters. This song is older than my senior year of high school yearbook. I understand that "post-grunge" is so post-cool but well, I was post-grunge when post-grunge wasn't cool.

You Lost Me by Christina Aguilera. I think that Christina herself was a little lost in the shadows of her Mickey Mouse Club co-stars, but she has definitely turned out to be more stable than one of them. I wonder if this song was written for JT over the fact that she had a mad crush on him back in the early 90's but he chose the blond instead. Never mind, she's blond too. I'm the one who is not.

I Will Not Be Moved by Natalie Grant. Thank you Natalie Grant for singing and writing this song for me. Thank you HJ for recommending this song to me.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love that song by Natalie Grant. And I like Ray LaMontagne. My friends at work have a man-crush on him.

Katie S. said...

"Do y'all remember fast-forwarding and rewinding over and over again" Ice, Ice Baby? Yes, I do remember that. How else were you supposed to memorize song lyrics circa 1994?