Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Soundtrack: Home Grown Edition.

I was all set to do my "Home Grown" edition of the soundtrack segment for this week, but then I heard some guy perform a Joe Cocker song on America's Got Talent last night and was torn between my original idea for this week or completely scrapping it for a new theme. Then I remembered that there is next Wednesday [if time stands] so I'll stick with the original theme today. I do just love a good theme. My [future] children will have themed birthday parties, Halloween costumes, and first day of school outfits until I send them to college...and beyond. Oh how lucky they will be to have me for their mom!

My state has contributed greatly to the development of society. Without Georgia, there wouldn't be Coca-Cola, Chick-fil-A, Waffle House...maybe it's just contributed greatly to the expanding waistlines of society. But there is also Delta, Home Depot, UPS, the CDC, and the very first US Gold Rush happened in a little mountain town very near and dear to my heart. Whew, I feel better now. It just so happens that Georgia is home to some pretty a-ok musicians. Even before Elton and Justin Beiber moved to town. So here is my Top 12 (two bonus!) for the week. As with all of my play lists, I'm fickle about favorites.

Night Time is the Right Time by Ray Charles. Seriously, did you think I was going to say Georgia on My Mind? I'll play my "trite" card elsewhere, thank you. Why do I love this Ray Charles song? Primarily because I love Heathcliff & Rudy Huxtable's rendition of this song.

As She's Walking Away by the Zac Brown Band featuring Alan Jackson. Double the Georgia boy fun with this one song!

These Arms of Mine by Otis Redding. Quick. Anybody know what movie this was in? It's one I always associate with my childhood even though I'm not certain the content was completely appropriate for a slumber party with 8 year old girls.

Romeo and Juliet by the Indigo Girls. Oh, Romeo...I think I used to have a scene with him. Amy Ray sightings when I lived in Dahlonega were almost as common as Michael Stipe sightings in Athens. Except I've never actually seen Michael Stipe. I usually just had to look to my left or right anytime I went to the gym in Dahlonega and ol' Amy was right there on the elliptical machine. Speaking of Michael Stipe...

Low by REM. Y'all ready to get low? It was the first middle school basketball game of the season during my 7th grade year...November 22 to be exact [sweet goodness, my memory is an anomaly]. Hans Preigel [the boy who sat beside me or behind me in basically every single class and whose locker was right above mine] died after getting hit by a car when he was walking from the game to...somewhere. In Chorus class the next Monday our teacher let us listen to whatever music we wanted to. Someone brought this and we played it over. And over. And over. It was alright though because everybody hurts sometime.

ATLiens by OutKast. Atlanta isn't the Hip-Hop Capital of the Wur-uld because we ATLiens love our muzak. Even though I do wonder if we'll lose that title now that Neal Boortz and friends have replaced Murph Dog & CJ in the morning.

Everchanging World
by Shawn Mullins. Yes, Shawn Mullins. But this is old Shawn Mullins. Just out of North Georgia College Shawn Mullins before he started singing lullabies.

Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight & The Pips. Wow. I wonder what happened once they actually got to Georgia. Would she still rather live in his world than live without him in hers?

The Truth by Jason Aldean. After grad school, maybe I'll head out on the road with some old rock and roll band and live like a gypsy king...er, queen, for a little while. Sounds fun.

Straight to Hell by Drivin n' Cryin. What a fun sing along song. And no, my mama has never said that I was headed straight there. Because I'm not. I'll bet there's not any honeysuckle blue there either.

Keep Your Hands to Yourself by The Georgia Satellites. This was totally in the Saturday Night Dance Party Mix at my house. Little did I know that while dancing my cares away as an 8 year old, my parents were also educating me on the benefits of virtue. It was damage control for letting me watch Dirty Dancing, I suppose.

Love by Sugarland. This song is powerful. It gives me chills. It makes me cry. But in a good way. Kind of like love does.

No comments: