Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Soundtrack: English Invasion Edition

[Yes, I know in real-life it's referred to as the British invasion, but I'm only focusing on England. So there.]

Remember how last week I wanted to change my original post idea all because of that one Joe Cocker song that I heard on America's Got Talent? How was I so influenced by the likes of Howie Mandel and Sharon Osborne, I wonder? I had no idea that Joe Cocker is from the land that doesn't take tea ice cold and full of sugar [apparently I thought he was from The Bible Belt] In my mind all English musicians have the same hair cuts or long tongues or wear funky sunglasses. If not for the Beatles, the Stones, or Sir Elton, I might not even know that there was such a place as England. Oh, I kid. You'll notice that there's nary a mention of the three aforementioned performers on my actual list this week. It's because I just couldn't decide on one song for each of them. How could I with the Elton John box set in my closet? Oh, I kid, again. I've never owned an Elton John box set. Or any box set for that matter. Box set? Who has those anymore? Do you want to come over later and watch home movies on the Betamax?

I like to think of this week's selection as being fit for a queen.

You Can Leave Your Hat On by Joe Cocker. I've talked about Joe Cocker enough during the last week. I'm not saying anything else about him. Ever. But on another note, did you know Randy Newman wrote this song? As in the guy who does all the Toy Story songs. Weird.

Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield. Apparently that son of a preacher man didn't teach her well enough given her preference for the ladies.

Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer. In the days before I wanted to be a dancer for Justin Timberlake's tour, I wanted to be one of those girls in this video. Me thinks those 2 years of ballet/tap combo class won't carry me as far as I had hoped.

Brass in Pocket by The Pretenders. You know how sometimes you can look at people and their name doesn't really suit them? Well, that's how I feel about this song and its name.

Going to California by Led Zeppelin. It's only fitting that I include a little Led Zeppelin given the family connection and all. Not to mention that I. Love. This. Song.

Little Lion Man by Mumford & Sons. Despite the fact that the Fred Sanford theme song pops into my head every single time I see this group's name, I love their music. Co-worker Erin introduced me to them a couple of weeks ago and I've been hooked since. I suspect you will be too. But you don't have to take my word for it.

Pictures of You by The Cure. Another college favorite. Period. Dot.

Right to Be Wrong by Joss Stone. I guess we all have the right to be wrong. I exercise mine quite frequently.

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve. I do love these lyrics. But what I love even more is Justin Timberlake standing on stage in his white t-shirt and jeans after his concert waving goodbye to everyone as this song is playing in the background. Yep. It all goes back to JT. Always. It's a sickness really but it's ok because not only can the boy sing and dance, he is just plain funny.

'Til Kingdom Come by Coldplay. Fact: This song was written for Johnny Cash. He and Apple's dad were going to do a little collaboration. Unfortunately before it happened, Kingdom came for Johnny.

2 comments:

MC Hammer, DJ Jazzy Jeff and EDT said...

I LOVE SOUNDTRACK WEDNESDAYS!!!! :)

UNKNOWN said...

My boyfriend met this lady at a night club. She has a mental illness. He told me that he loves me, he does not know what happened to him, and he felt lost without me. He does not love or want to be with this woman but for some reason he said to me he Could not leave her house. Someone told me that she had put something on him to keep him away from me. That was how i search and found Priestessifaa@yahoo.com, she did a spell that reverse the whole thing back, and my boyfriend Showed the door to escape out of her house. Our relationship is stronger than ever. He is here with me, and she moved to Palemo, Sicily. Thanks priestess.