Friday, September 3, 2010

My Type.

If you came here today expecting my take on all things tall, dark, and handsome, I am sorry to report that you are in for a huge disappointment. It's not that I don't like the tall, dark, and handsome fellas, it's just that my love life is something I prefer to keep off the internet. Oh, I'm hilarious.

Now, there is my blood type. That makes for an interesting conversation. Well, interesting for those enrolled at the local technical college in the phlebotomy program. I'm AB-. The rarest blood type in all the land, ladies and gents. Hmmm, I wonder if I could have a side show act with a traveling circus? And if so, could my booth be next to the bearded lady's? For real though, that is my blood type and it is the most rare. 1 out of 100 donors are AB-. And it's not just that we're greedy with our blood. Listen to me rambling on. I didn't come here today to discuss my blood type either because that's just plain weird.

I'm here to talk about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). For psychology geeks like me, taking these types of personality inventories are as entertaining as a Friday night at the movies. Speaking of Friday night at the movies, might I recommend that you save your money and not go see Going the Distance when it opens this weekend. I can tell you how it ends if you really care to know. I digress. Back when I was in college, we did these crazy personality type tests all the time in the name of higher education. Some may argue that an undergraduate degree is psychology is about as useful as a high school varsity letter in chorus, and personally I couldn't agree more. It's just that I know all the "official" terms for what everyone else refers to as common sense.

For those of you who aren't privvy to all things MBTI, I'll provide a brief explanation. Relax, it's not 5:00 yet, how else are you going to pass the time? The inventory is divided into 4 components.

1. Where you focus your attention: Extraversion or Introversion
2. The way you take in information: Sensing or Intuition
3. The way you make decisions: Thinking or Feeling
4. How you deal with the outer world: Judging or Perceiving

Since I'm boring myself to tears, I'll go ahead and get to the moment we've all been waiting for which is the big reveal of my type in case you forgot the point of this whole post in the first place.

ISFJ. That's me. In college I was an ESFJ. Apparently in my old age, I've become more introverted. Now before you go start thinking that I'm going to become the kooky old lady with cats, introverts are not the same as recluses. I like to think it was all those years as an only child that made me that way. It didn't take me long to figure out that no matter how much I talked to my stuffed animals, they weren't going to talk back.

Here's the skinny. ISFJ is the most common "type" of females in the United States. So much for being one of a kind. ISFJ's are loyal, quiet, cooperative and supportive. We like to think about something and process it internally and consider all sides before making a decision. But once we make up our mind about something, we stick with it. It's alright though because we make our decisions, we also take the time consider whether or not anyone will be hurt as a result of them. We want the facts and just the facts, man. We love a good plan. We hate conflict and try to avoid it. Hmmm. Clearly this inventory has me all wrong. I wonder that if there was an inventory for sarcasm, how would I measure?

Each of the 4 components is measured on a scale ranging from zero to 30. I'm pretty moderate in the first three. Judging is where I really show my true colors. I am a 27. Now before you get all worked up and think that I'm judgmental, hold your horses. This is the component that says that folks who sway to the judging side tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and wish to have things settled. They also like to have some control and set limits. [Pffft. What weirdos.] The other side of the spectrum, perceiving, is where the folks that love to fly by the seat of their pants like to live. Don't get me wrong, I'm always up for a surprise. As long as it's a good one. And fits nicely into my overall grand plan. Speaking of grand plan, have I mentioned lately that I no longer have one? Which I happen to believe is all a part of another J's plan. If you know who I mean.

No comments: