Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Soundtrack: It's Fall Edition.

Fact: Fall is the best season. I love jeans. I love the changing leaves. I love the smell of leaves burning. [I love the environment.] I love hot chocolate. I love it all. And because I'm weird [ahem...unique] there are certain songs that I love to listen to during the fall. Today I will share some of them as well as whatever else comes to mind in the next 10 minutes or so it will take me to hammer out this little post. Enjoy.

New Favorite (the entire CD) by Alison Krauss & Union Station. She has the voice of an angel. Maybe my mansion will be close to hers in Heaven so we can sing duets all day long.

Live in Chicago at the United Center 12.19.98 by Dave Matthews Band. Once again, I listen to the whole thing, but I'm a super big fan of: The Last Stop, #41, The Maker, Christmas Song, and All Along the Watchtower.

A Hard Rain's A-gonna' Fall the Jason Mraz version. I don't want to take away from the original Bob Dylan version but there's something about this one that I like better. You say potato, I say potato, Dan Quayle spells potatoe.

Smoke & Ashes by Tracy Chapman. Dear Tracy Chapman, I'm really sorry that for the longest time I thought you were a man. This song warms my soul like a blanket warms my toes on a crisp fall day. Really? Remind me never to attempt poetry.

Portland, Oregon by Loretta Lynn & Jack White. Am I the only one who thinks this duo is dynamic? I hope not.

Dear Lover by Foo Fighters. Oh mellow Foo Fighters, how I love thee.

Awake My Soul by Mumford & Sons. Seriously, this group is quickly moving up my personal chart of favorites. I love them even more because so many of their songs have been featured in the new shows this fall. I heard this song for the first time when I was watching Lone Star last week. I don't know why I'm intrigued with a show that features a man leading a double life.

Sober by Kelly Clarkson. Yes, Kelly Clarkson. I heard this song randomly today on my way to Chick-fil-A to get my free! chicken! sandwich! and it made me cry. Three months and I'm still breathing/standing here/getting better/still remember. Oh the irony of timing.

Belong by Cary Brothers. I hate that I've been sucked into the ridiculousness that is Cougar Town. I think it's because the show always gets me with the music at the end so it's like I have to watch the entire episode to see how the last song brings it all together. This was last week's "bring it all together and make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside" song. If you like that sort of thing.

Back in the Saddle Again by Gene Autry. 103 years ago today Gene Autry was born so it's only fitting to feature one of his songs, right? [Thanks to Em O-W for sharing this bit of musical trivia.] Too bad his birthday isn't in December because I would have featured his more famous song: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I adhere strictly to my "No Christmas music until Thanksgiving" policy. Besides after three months of still breathing I'm back in the saddle again.

1 comment:

ewanless said...

When I think of what the most wonderful thing on Earth is, what makes me unthinkably happy, what is perfection, I think of Alison Krauss. Please listen to Restless, it will leave you speechless with a gigantic smile on your face...until you learn the words and then you will be belting them out at the top of your lungs (preferably in the car with the windows down).

PS-I'm impressed with the self-restraint. I would have bet a significant amount of money you would have gone with Rudolf ;-)