Friday, September 10, 2010

Guacamole. Even the haters will love it.

I am 72% sure that I love this guacamole. That's saying a lot for the girl who was a hater of the green creamy stuff for years. Today I bring you a quick & easy recipe that is a great addition to your College GameDay menu.


The players:
  • Avocados - 3
  • Roma Tomatoes - 2
  • Lime - 1
  • Onion - 1/4 cup
  • Cilantro - 3 tbsp.
  • Salt - 1 tsp.
  • Minced Garlic - 1 tsp.


The play:
[For an added effect, imagine me saying this in a Julia Childs voice with a Southern drawl.]
  • Dice the tomatoes. Set aside.
  • Next dice the onion. Set aside.
  • Then finely chop the cilantro. Set aside.
  • Peel the avocados, or whatever it is you do with them [this is where you may begin to suspect that my kitchen prowess is not up to Julia's] and put them in a bowl. RINSE & SAVE 2 of the PITS!
  • Add 1 tsp. of salt to the avocado.
  • Juice the lime [Really? I need a canine assistance dog to make my way around the kitchen because I just had to ask for help on how to word this step and it still sounds odd.] into the bowl as well.
  • Mix and mash together the avocado, salt, and lime juice.
  • Add in the tomato, onion, cilantro, and garlic. Stir.
  • Finally, stir in the pits. [It keeps the guac from turning a dismal brown, yo.]
    Serve immediately or chill for an hour as you chill for an hour yourself.
  • Enjoy.

A few notes, not necessarily of relevance:

  • I could easily eat this entire bowl of this stuff.
  • Given that garlic, onion, and cilantro is involved, I don't recommend this when tailgating with your crush.
  • I never use the full 1/4 cup of onions.
  • Nor do I use all 3 tablespoons of cilantro. I just chop some cilantro until I get annoyed with chopping up smelly green leaves. Which is usually after about 12 seconds.
  • Sometimes for kicks I'll add an extra tomato. Just because I can.
  • Confession: I don't use fresh garlic. Save yourself the time and trouble and embrace the garlic in a jar like I have. Unless Martha Stewart will be at your event. If she is, then I'm not sure why you're coming to me for recipes.
  • Props to pal Holly about the pit trick. [How many of you immediately converted to a 9 year old boy and thought of that terrible armpit noise trick we did in elementary school?] I had no idea they helped the finish product remain a lovely green shade for hours and weeks on end.
  • I really like blue corn chips with my guacamole. Specifically the Archer Farms blue corn chips that you can get at Target, but I've never really met a blue corn chip I didn't like so I don't discriminate. Might I also recommend eating it by the spoonfuls.
  • Please ignore my ugly white counter tops. When I moved to Athens I almost didn't move to this place specifically because of how ugly the kitchen is. And then I remembered the difference between renting and buying. And temporary and permanent. Pretend like they are granite. I certainly do.
  • My local grocer, Sam Walton is currently selling avocados for 50 cents each. Even though I much prefer the place where shopping is a pleasure, they think a little more highly of their avocados (1.69 each). It's the falling prices and my endless optimism that I'll capture the perfect photo to make the People of Wal-Mart blog that keeps drawing me back that place.

1 comment:

Suzanna said...

This is hilarious. I wasn't able to love this guac when you made it for us (though without the onions, there may have been a chance), but I think it is important you know that your salsa changed my life. I never thought a lot of salsa...I would eat it when it was in front of me at a Mexican place, but I never sought it out. But after eating yours, I got this crazy taste for it that I can't get rid of. I've made yours twice. And eaten almost the whole recipe myself both times (like when you made it)...I pretty much eat it for every meal until it is gone. I bought the salsa they were sampling at TJ's the other day, and I even chose it over the queso that was on the table at La Parilla last week. I think I am a salsa addict. Just thought you should know.