Saturday, September 11, 2010

Re-Run from 9/11/09: It's Personal.

You know, I hadn't really thought much about writing a blog post this year on 9/11 until a couple of days ago. Last year, I shared these thoughts about defining moments and how the events of September 11 will always be one of those days when we can think back and remember exactly what we were doing at the time.

This morning I've thought a great deal about all of those babies that were born in the days, weeks, and months that followed the attack who had fathers working in those buildings, flying on those planes, or were just working their 12 hour shift and hadn't really planned on getting any big calls that day. These babies are now 2nd graders. For many of their classmates, this day might simply be a date to remember for a US history test one day when they are in high school. Sure, their classmates will see pictures and hear stories but it's something that happened before their time. Kind of like JFK's assassination for me. But for these kids who lost their Daddies before they even got a chance to meet them, it's a different kind of day. It's personal.

This afternoon a college friend will arrive at Bethesda Naval Medical Center. Earlier this week he was seriously injured while proudly serving our country in Afghanistan. He was still in college when the terrorists attacked. No one could have ever predicted just how personal that event would become for him nearly 8 years to the day later. How could his sweet wife who was still years from even meeting him at that point in time have any clue that this defining moment would impact her life so greatly in her future? Today as she waits in Maryland for her husband to arrive back into the United States, it's personal.

It seems that for so long the war in Afghanistan did not have the media coverage that the war in Iraq has had. I'm not here to discuss the war on terrorism (of whatever it's called now) specifically because let's be honest...I'm no Stormin' Norman so I'm not really educated enough to do so. But lately I have noticed more and more headlines. I'm sure much of it has to do with the recent spike in violence and increase in the number of US troop causalities in Afghanistan. The media loves using black and gray to paint grim pictures for us each night on TV. I imagine that another reason why I'm more attuned to the headlines is because I've got a vested interest in matters related to those wearing uniforms for Team USA. It's personal.

The events of September 11 are personal to all of us living in this great land. For the New Yorkers who lived it, witnessed it, and are still haunted by the images associated with that day. For those in D.C. and Pennsylvania, too. For the family members of each and every one of the victims. For the ones who worked in those towers but happened to be running late that day so they survived when many of their co-workers did not. For the college girl who was working her cushy job as a waitress in a little mountain town when she watched one of the towers fall. For Americans who love this country and the principles on which it was founded. It's personal.

I'm certainly not a proponent of dwelling in the past, but I don't believe that remembering that day should be considered as such. The ripples resulting from a senseless act that happened nearly a decade ago are still reaching far and wide across America and will continue to do so into the future. I hope that when we see those pictures that are all too familiar now that we will be reminded to be empathetic to the hurting, thankful for the brave, proud and prayerful for our nation. And that's all I have to say about that.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing! Although I've been very aware of what today meant, your words just helped me realize why I've been so sad today. Grief. Because it's personal. I remember doing a project about the Pearl Harbor attack in middle school (which happened so far before I arrived), so when I got to see it a couple of weeks ago, it was somber but proud for me. I thought then that "my Dec. 7th" was now "Sept. 11," and how I hope that we do not remember that day in the same passing way that most people do Dec. 7th. Too bad I'm too old to join the Army. I guess I'll just live vicariously through my brother's memories of his time.

Maggie said...

Heather, I always say that you have a way with words, but you are so right. It is personal, and it is a great reminder of the people who are still fighting for our nation and sacrificing for our nation (as my husband stands at the bedside of one brave soldier as I type).

Unknown said...

Heather, I just love your posts. Like Maggie said, you definitely have a way with words and this one brought back memories of NGCSU that day and the days to follow and brought tears to my eyes. Also, I have not heard Adams name since NGCSU days, thank you for adding that link to keep up with what is going on. I'll be praying for him and his family, man that's hard. My cousin left the day after that accident for Afghanistan for his 3rd tour, so it is "personal" for us all!

Kimber said...

I got goosebumps! Great blog, Heather.