Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A hostage situation of sorts.

Meet my captor...

[Pretend like the above picture is horizontal and let it serve as exhibit #4275 of why I loathe uploading pictures to Blogger.]

From what I can tell based on the non-stop news coverage of Winter Storm Watch 2011, the entire state seems to be enjoying a few snow days. At the rate we're going, it might even be a snow week in some places. Currently my fingers and toes are crossed because working two full weeks after an entire week off for Christmas is quite exhausting. I'm due for a break.

At some point yesterday...today...all of the days are beginning to run together the [former] governor declared a state of emergency. I guess it would have been on Sunday actually since our new governor was sworn in yesterday. The world's busiest airport will shut down and malls across the state will close for days but democracy cannot be delayed people! It's nice to know we haven't completely lost focus of our priorities after all. I digress. Today, however, I declared an entirely new state of emergency: I baked the last batch of cookies. Being in this apartment that is the size of a man's shoebox without medication that comes in the form of chocolate chip cookies may very likely be the cause of my undoing. Especially if the sun doesn't come out tomorrow to speed up the great thaw. Little Orphan Annie lied when she sang about betting my dollar on the sun. All day long today, the sky was grayer than the hairs that I have to pluck out of the crown of my head way too frequently these days.

Honestly I'm enjoying sheer boredom. Reading, exercising, catching up on bad cop dramas, sleeping in, drinking coffee...I really was born to be a lady of leisure. In fact, the most exciting part of my day today was the 10 minute long phone conversation I had with the lady from the IRS. And if this hostage situation continues, I might just reach a new level of boredom that I actually share with you all why I was on the phone with a lady from the IRS in the first place.

Anybody else out there enjoying being a captive in your own home?

No comments: