Friday, January 21, 2011

Soundtrack: My Days Are So Mixed Up Edition.

Y'all. Where has this week gone? After my lack of schedule and structure last week and an atypical week this week, I now need a personal assistant to keep me informed on things like what day it is. Or I could always look at my calendar, but that's just boring. I've had this little musical medley compiled in my head since Tuesday, but somehow since then about 72 hours have passed. I can't let a good list go to waste though so here you go... You're welcome.

Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson. I'm starting with a Michael Jackson song. And of all MJ songs to feature, it's this one. Weird, right? Even weirder...I heard this song at church last week. I've gone to the same church for 3 years and secular music in church still catches me off guard. It's got a good message though. Well, if you want to make the world a better place, it has a good message. And who doesn't want to do that? The same people who as kids said that they want to be a junkie when they grow up. That's who.

Everlasting God by Chris Tomlin. You know how every once in awhile there are those Sunday's when every single song in church is awesome and you wish that it was just a sing-along hour? That's how last Sunday was at church so I'm featuring the entire set list. And while I'm on the subject of Chris Tomlin, check out this bonus clip. Hilarious.

Blessed be Your Name by Matt Redman. Blessed be his name when I'm in the desert place and in the wilderness too? Yep, even then.

Mighty to Save by Hillsong. Everyone does need compassion and mercy and love and all of those other things so you can't go wrong with this song. If you don't, then share some of yours with me. Thanks. Fun fact: Hillsong is coming to the Gwinnett Arena in March. I can't keep track of the days of the week, but I can serve as an event planner for you all. Hmm. And this concludes my Sunday morning worship song portion of today's segment.

Rolling in the Deep by Adele. Have you heard this song? I literally just heard the last part of it in the car the other day but it caught my attention enough for me to figure out the name of the song and who sang it. Yes, I could have done this using the Shazam app on my phone that is smarter than me, but I did my research the old-fashioned way by Googling a line that I could remember when I got home for lunch. As an aside, I don't think Adele looks like I imagined she would look based on her voice. Don't you hate it when actual pictures don't match the mental pictures you've created? Oh, that's just me? Oh well.

Life in a Northern Town by Sugarland (featuring Little Big Town & Jake Owen). Originally done by The Dream Academy (thank you, Wikipedia). I think it's the "hey um um um um's" that get me in this song. Or the Salvation Army Band that plays while children drink lemonade.

Forever in Blue Jeans by Neil Diamond. Confession: I love Neil Diamond. But who doesn't, right? Or does this confession confirm my suspicions that I'm a 62 year-old trapped in the body of someone half my age? I wish that I could be forever in blue jeans. Specifically my 7 "A-pockets" that I'm currently sporting. I wish I had a pair for every day of the week. But that would be a little excessive.

Simple Girl by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Can we please discuss the origin of their name? I heard this song on Parenthood this week which IMHO is one of the best shows currently on TV. Because it was only a snippet, my first thought was that it sounded a little Paul Simon-ish. But after a complete listen, it's Paul Simon-ish after he hung out with The Beatles who hung out with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
Runaway by The National. Also on Parenthood. Also great. But I'm not a proponent of running away. How can the man in the mirror take a look at himself to change if he's running? Exactly.

Radioactive by Kings of Leon. I like to think that Kings of Leon and The Killers go to the same family reunions. I put them in the same category and I don't have large amounts of room in my world for their kind of music, I do love them both equally. What did I just type? Apparently I've been hanging out with The Beatles and their diamond dust too.

Dueling Ninjas by Trace Bundy. I actually heard this on Pandora earlier today and I totally judged a song by its title. I mean, Dueling Ninjas...how can it not be cool? And then I watched him actually perform this song and determined that it is in fact way cool.

No comments: