Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Soundtrack: It's Cold Edition.

It's been 80 hours since I've left my apartment complex. Not that I'm counting. In fact, if not for the 67 pound four-legged generator of boundless energy that looks to me for food and walks, I would be able to say that 80 hours have passed since I've been outdoors. Because who am I kidding? It's freezing out there and my closet isn't exactly adequately stocked with enough wool and fleece for the current outdoor conditions. In honor of Snowmageddon/Snowpocolypse/Snow Jam/The Bane of a Southerner's Existence 2011, I'm featuring cold songs. Yo VIP, let's kick it!

Ice, Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice. I'm dreaming of A1-A Beachfront Avenue. The next time I'm off of work for 4 days maybe I should roll down there in my 5.0.

Cold as Ice by Foreigner. In fact, my hands are as cold as ice. Even while indoors. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that my thermostat is currently set on 64.

Song for a Winter's Night by Sarah McLachlan. So this song is actually featured on her Christmas CD, but technically it's winter now therefore it's appropriate. Besides, it's really not a Christmas song at all. It's a sad song.

Midnight in Montgomery by Alan Jackson. Feel that lonesome chill? I certainly do after being stuck in my 64-degree apartment alone for 4 days. Did I mention that I don't have to work tomorrow too?

Colder Weather by Zac Brown Band. This song is currently tied for first place as being my favorite ZBB song ever. Love it. Even though I discovered it pre-NYE concert, it was one of my favorites of the night at their show as well. Interestingly enough, the song that it's tied with is also appropriate this week...

Cold Hearted by Zac Brown Band. I hope the fellas debuted this song at their March 13, 2010 show. It's haunting and beautiful and the only thing that could make it better would be if Alison Krauss sang it instead or maybe with him. Listen to the song and then put her voice in it. It works. Speaking of Alison Krauss...

Restless by Alison Krauss. If I had to pick one adjective to describe how I'm feeling right about now, that just about sums it up.

Don't Eat the Yellow Snow by Frank Zappa. Sounds like sound advice from mama if I've ever heard sound advice.

Warm It Up by Kris Kross. Sure, the last time I heard this song I was wearing IOU brand sweatshirts and coveting my friends' ZCavaricci's but there's no shame in bringing a hit out of the archives every once in awhile.

Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett. I wish I was there. I wish the DOT would find their lost shakers of salt and make all of this ice go away.

No comments: