Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ode to 101 Ash Avenue

During my last semester of college/first semester of working at a college I lived in a house with 3 incredible ladies. I really wish that I had a picture of this house complete with vinyl siding and ginormous picture window. I affectionally referred to it as The Money Pit because seriously, is it normal to have a water bill well over $100 dollars? I think not. But we did once, thanks to this home sweet home. I think it's safe to say that the picture window was not composed of double-paned glass...or whatever it's called to make it more energy efficient. Anyhoodle, I'm not here to lament about the dollars spent on the utilities. I'm here to talk about my time living with these 3 girls. Let's be honest, I was kind of a random last-minute addition to the roomate dynamic but what a blessing in my life it turned out to be. Although I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, I'm pretty sure that it was decided I would be joining Jennifer, Allison and Renee in Ash house while on a bus trip from the markets back to our hotel in Cancun, Mexico during a spring break mission trip. Yesterday on my way back to Athens from Allison's baby shower, I was thinking about all the fun times we had during that year as a group of 4 and then those I had with them individually as well. Oh what fun it was to deck the halls during Christmas and then travel to Disney for the weekend in the spring. While Jennifer majored in the arts, I think that the rest of us earned at least an honorary minor for that one project involving pipe cleaner! Jenn and I would stay up well after the other two had gone to sleep to talk about love, life and other mysteries (thanks Point of Grace for that phrase) and then I so enjoyed the early morning walks that Renee and I would take on occasion. Allison is one of the few people in the world who truly gets my sometimes raw and quirky humor. I always knew that she was gifted. :) The four of us haven't been back together since moving out at the end of that year but I truly cherish each time I get to see these girls.

2 comments:

Josh and Donna said...

when you all lived there, it was so so so fun to visit! i was kind of like an honorary roomate or something i'm sure. i mean. i'm really important and all.

Renee said...

Ash Ave will always have a special place in my heart...certainly not the dwelling, but rather the fun we had together. It was great to see you yesterday and I'm super excited about all you're up to these days. Hope to see you again soon!!!