Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reading is FUNdamental!

Ok, who here remembers Book It? You know...the reading incentive program in elementary school where if you read a certain number of books, you got a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut? Let this image serve as a reminder in case your memory regarding absolute random and useless information isn't as sharp as mine is.

So I absolutely loved Book It! whenever I was growing up. I was totally the geeky bookworm who earned her blue button plus all of her yellow stars for it too. Truth is, I'm still a geeky bookworm, but I no longer get free pizza as a reward. One of the things that I have been doing since the beginning of the spring semester is counting down the days until recreational reading could begin during my summer break from classes. I've been composing my summer reading list since January. Well, the first book I read did not disappoint. Earlier this week I finished reading The Kite Runner. Holy smokes, I love this book. I'll be honest, I'm completely ignorant to the culture in
Afghanistan. Not only is it an interesting perspective of life in old Afghanistan prior to Russia's invasion of it, it was written in 2003 so there are modern day references to the Taliban as well. I definitely learned so much about the culture and history in that country. I'm not going to lie. It's sad. Like, tears being shed as I'm turning the pages sad. But so very well written. (unlike much of this post) If you haven't read it and you're looking for a good read then run, don't walk to your local library or bookstore and pick up a copy for yourself.

5 comments:

A Cincy Mama said...

Hey girl! I just realized you have a blog..have enjoyed reading so far. A new place to "lurk."

Bill & Stacie said...

Dude! I totally rocked Book It! Reading was my favorite thing and I remember the teacher finding it hard to keep up with my books. Wish I could read that way now. It takes me at least a month to read anything now.

allison said...

I LOVED Book It! Ate a lot of pizza too. I also started the Kite Runner before coming home from China, but didn't finish because it was so sad. I regret that now and plan to start reading it again this summer after exams are done. Hopefully I'll finish it this time.

Josh and Donna said...

oh MY goodness!! i LOVED book-it! i went to 6 flags every summer. that's super-geek status!

Joni said...

My sister and I were total Book It! geeks. Free pizza hut and we used to get free Braves tickets too (somehow from school...can't remember if that was book it or not).

I definitely want to read Kite Runner - and a thousand splendid suns. those are on my newly created Word document titled "books to read." Seriously.

Joni :)