Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Day Has Come

Please pardon the usage of a Celine Dion song title, but perhaps it's only fitting since she was in the A.T.L. this weekend. No, I didn't see her. I was busy in Dahlonega contributing to the betterment of society. Or something like that. I had so many things that I wanted to blog about, but just never got around to it. Like all the books I read over Christmas break: Marley and Me, The Longest Trip Home, Change of Heart (no, it's not a lame Danielle Steel book...it's Jodi Picoult), A Thousand Splendid Suns, What the CEO Wants You to Know, and Born on a Blue Day. Or I could talk about how my dog is sick and isn't really getting better even when I think he's making progress. Ce' la vie. (Isn't that how that is spelled? I'm not French so I don't know). I have pictures to post of Allison's going away party and I had every intention of devoting an entire blog post to my partner, Allison. PARTNER IN CRIME, people....what are you thinking? I sure will miss working with her. She's moved on to bluer skies and oranger pastures though at Auburn. I could talk about the trip that I'm going on this weekend. But then that just makes me remember how I need to pack and I'll be honest, I don't have time for that between work and school. Oh, have I mentioned that I'm back in school? Hence the reason for my absence in the blogosphere. I'm trying a new approach by actually completing all of my assigned reading assignments. Oddly enough, I'm actually learning from it too. Bizarre. Back to the topic at hand...

Today was the presidential inauguration. And that means a new day has come. Regardless of who is elected into office, I do enjoy watching all the hoorah of the day in Washington. I just love watching the politics of politics...all the hand-shaking and cheek-kissing between the people who drag each other's names through the mud the other 364 days of the year. Of course I had flashbacks to the 8th grade when Clinton was inaugurated which kind of made me want to curl up into the fetal position and rock back and forth, but the part that stands out the most to me was sitting in Algebra class while Maya Angelou read some sort of forever long poem that she had written for the day. But today's not about 1993. Thank goodness for that because that would mean that I have years of bad hair to endure and I barely made it through the first time. It turns out that Obama and I have more in common than I thought. He has a daughter named Malia and my middle name is Melia. Different spellings but same pronunciations. And we (he and I) are both left-handed. I'm sure that once he learns of these commonalities between us, I'll receive an invitation to a fancy state dinner. I should probably start shopping for my dress now.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

You are cracking me up! Hope your doggie feels better soon. Sick puppies are so pathetic.