Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm No Sissy

When I woke up this morning I knew that it was going to be a great day at work because I would be sporting a casual GSC t-shirt with khaki's on a normally non-casual Wednesday. All I had to do in exchange was serve hamburgers to some wild and crazy college kids during the Fall Carnival at The OC. Much to my dismay all the burgers were gone before it was my turn to ask if they would like fries with that, but my frown quickly turned upside down when I saw what other opportunity was waiting. Suddenly it was like I was in Gilley's about to get in a big fight with John Travolta. Except it was the G-rated version. And John was nowhere around. (Never mind the fact that someone could've easily mistaken me for Powder with a severe case of the sun grins.) Who am I kidding. In reality, my 8 second bull ride was much like the rides that I took on the quarter horse (as in the 25 cents per ride horse) that sat outside of K-mart and Richway (who here remembers Richway?) when I was about 4. Afterwards, I briefly considered quitting my day job to become a barrel racer on the rodeo circuit, but then I remembered that I would be required to ride horses, and I'm pretty much scared of them. So even though I'm no Sissy, I'm still a sissy.

In completely unrelated news, I talked to Mom when I got out of class tonight, and Daddy has pneumonia. The good news is that he is being treated with some good meds and his fever seems to have broken. The not-so-good news is that his pulmonologist has given him 48 hours to show marked improvement or she's going to put him in the hospital. And she is just sassy enough to do it. Which is why I like her. Naturally I'm a little worried because pneumonia is what triggered the respiratory arrest before, but since he's no longer the Marlboro Man, he's not as sick now as he was then. Which is more good news. The best news is that God is completely in control. But when you pray, if you happen to remember his tarnished and damaged little lungs (and my tired and amazing little mother who is taking care of him), we would all be very appreciative. I'll save the friendly public service announcement about not smoking for another day, but it's probably coming soon. So be ready.

3 comments:

Alison said...

"You're a real cowboy, ain't cha?"

I love those photos of you on the bull...too funny!

Sorry to hear your dad is sick. Good for him for quitting smoking. I'll pray for his speedy recovery.

Suzanna said...

Ride 'em, Cowgirl!

I totally remember Richway and the quarter horses outside. I was so mad when Richway turned into Target that I vowed never to shop there (I was five). Turns out I'm not so good at boycotting.

Maggie said...

I so remember Richway too. And, we will be praying for your dad.