Thursday, October 16, 2008

100th Blog Post Bonanza

So it seems that I have reached a milestone that is celebrated here in the blogosphere. This is my 100th blog post, which really is a joyous occasion. Ok, maybe it’s not joyous for you, but it is for me. When I first began my relationship with this little blog o’ mine it was very on-again-off-again. In fact, the odds of Nick and Jessica actually making it were probably greater than the odds of me making it as a blogger. But it seems I’ve beaten the odds. Apparently there is a little tradition among bloggers to share 100 things about themselves in order to celebrate the 100th post. At this point you should start channel surfing because I’m sure whatever St. Olaf story that Rose is telling on the Golden Girls is much more entertaining than this stuff…
1. I love taking naps. They make me a better person and everyone reading this would probably be better people if I cut the list 99 facts short and took one right now.
2. I’m left-handed, which proved to be really beneficial for me all those years on the softball field.
3. I stopped playing softball before my freshman year of college when the masculinity of the other players began to frighten me.
4. I’ve never broken a bone.
5. But I have ripped my cornea. The eye patch made me the cutest (read: geekiest) cheerleader in the 6th grade.
6. I finally came to terms with my naturally curly hair my junior year of high school after years of trying to straighten it out.
7. To celebrate, I threw away my brush and haven’t owned one since.
8. Even though it is kind of fun to brush out my hair when in need of cheap entertainment.
9. I’m very easily amused and enjoy the company of others who are as well. (see #8)
10. I break out into hives when I get really cold. Yes, cold. Not hot. Weird, I know.
11. At weddings, when everyone stands up and turns to watch the bride walk down the aisle, I watch the groom to see his facial expression as his bride walks towards him. It’s priceless, and I dare you to try it at the next wedding you go to. Unless it’s your daughter or sister walking down the aisle. You should probably watch her if that’s the case.
12. My thumbs are double-jointed.
13. If I could meet any celebrity on the planet, I would choose John Travolta. Then he would ask me to dance. And I would faint.
14. Speaking of fainting, I did once during a chorus concert in the 7th grade. Another one of my shining moments.
15. But not as shining as that time in the 6th grade when Joseph W. pulled my Umbros down around my ankles. Dad was pleased. I was just pleased Dad didn’t go to jail.
16. The farthest I have ever been from home is Seattle.
17. However it’s my dream to go much farther and spend some time in Europe by way of New Zealand.
18. I just realized that I’m getting a headache…it must be because Oprah is on. I happen to believe that she uses her power for evil instead of good.
19. I consider myself very fortunate to have a mom and a dad who live in the same house.
20. I’m a Southerner who hates grits. Yes, it’s true.
21. I love to read. Always have. Always will.
22. I would love to be the Weekend Update girl on SNL. I think I’ve got a shot since Amy Poehler is about to leave the show to be a mother.
23. When I’m a little bit anxious about something or tired, I twirl the curls on the right side of my head with my right hand until they all morph together into one big curl. It’s pretty.
24. Fortunately, anxiety never interferes with my sleep. I only lose sleep if I’m excited because I’m looking forward to something fun.
25. I would pay lots of money to see Justin Timberlake in concert again. He’s that good.
26. I am loved by Jesus.
27. I happen to love Him back.
28. I’m a little compulsive when it comes to the organization of my closet.
29. However my desk at work is currently a disaster area.
30. I remember what I wore on the first day of kindergarten, last day of 3rd grade, and the first day of college. Don’t believe me? Kindergarten: purple Cabbage Kid shorts with a white shirt that had Cabbage Patch kids all over it / 3rd grade: sea green OP shorts with a white sleeveless OP shirt that had a beach scene on the front / college: blue striped tank top with white shirt over it, jeans and Timberlands. No, I’m not looking at pictures…my mom is great at taking pictures, terrible at getting them developed.
31. The older I get, the more sentimental I become.
32. I love giving gifts. Especially when I get really creative and come up with something that has meaning and significance.
33. There are very few things that truly get under my skin. Ring-back tones are one of them. I believe that they should be banned.
34. As a child I had an irrational fear of thunderstorms.
35. I finally outgrew this fear in college.
36. Along with my jeans.
37. And my legalistic points of view.
38. There is nothing about conflict that I enjoy. I try to prevent and avoid it.
39. My life thus far has turned out nothing like I ever imagined that it would. But then I can’t think of anyone’s that has so I’m in good company.
40. But there are still some days when I wish that I had become a math teacher.
41. I wish that I could play an instrument.
42. There is a ridiculous amount of useless knowledge stored in my brain. But I’m glad that it’s there because it makes conversations much more interesting.
43. I trust people. So it hurts even worse if trust is broken.
44. Writing this is harder than I thought it would be.
45. Jimmy Carter once told me that I looked “just lovely”.
46. Then I chatted with Rosalyn as I danced around outside brushing ants off of my dress after stepping on an ant hill.
47. We didn’t talk politics. It was probably for the best.
48. I’ve been to the dog tracks in Florida. Twice. I live the high life.
49. I love airplane trips.
50. One of my favorite things to do is sit outside on a really dark and clear night and look at the stars and moon.
51. I can watch the movie Anchorman over and over again. It’s how I roll.
52. I also happen to love musicals though. Let’s just say that I’m [relatively] cultured.
53. I’ve been stopped by the police 4 times in my driving career.
54. I’ve never gotten a ticket.
55. I have only been scared for my life once. Spinning through the median of GA-400 in the pouring down rain and landing north bound in the south bound lanes while talking to your mother on the phone would probably make you a little scared for your life too.
56. There’s nothing like a close call to reaffirm one’s belief in God. It worked for me. (see #56)
57. I believe that having a KitchenAid mixer in my kitchen would make the world a better place.
58. I don’t believe that everything happens for a reason.
59. But I do believe that God can bring good out of even the worst situations or events.
60. I almost had a coronary earlier today in Publix when I went to buy a 2-liter drink and it cost $1.79.
61. However there is always a silver lining because I would’ve clicked my heels had I not been driving when I passed the gas station and gas was down to $2.99/gallon.
62. I can click my heels by the way.
63. I cannot believe anyone is still reading this list.
64. I love looking at maps. So much so that I usually go on at least one MapQuest per day.
65. Some days all [I] want to do is dance, dance, dance.
66. Since I’m quoting Don Henley, here is where I’ll mention my very eclectic music collection.
67. I love music.
68. And I always sing along to it in the car. Much to the dismay of fellow passengers.
69. Taking pictures is something I really enjoy doing also.
70. That’s why I always have my camera on hand should a Kodak moment occur.
71. Lately I’ve been thinking about taking up an adult sport. Like tennis.
72. Speaking of sports that I don’t always think about, I love going to rodeos.
73. In high school I snuck into one with my friends without paying. But being the rule-follower that I am, I had a pre-paid ticket in my pocket “just in case” we got caught. So I guess I didn’t really sneak in after all.
74. I blush more easily than anyone I know. It's embarrassing.

75. I’m beginning to feel like this post is the transcript of a really bad and awkward first date of when I grasped at straws to make conversation.
76. My mom and I have the same middle name. Melia. It’s Hawaiian.
77. I’m not Hawaiian.
78. But I am Irish, Scottish and English with a dash or two of American Indian thrown in.
79. I’m trying to incorporate green into more areas of my life than just clothing. So far I’m down with the reusable shopping bags. It’s a work in progress.
80. Kind of like I am.
81. Watching The Office makes me laugh out loud. And I love laughing out loud.
82. Gold Rush weekend (this coming weekend) is something that I look forward to every year because it’s a great time with great friends.
83. This will be the second year in a row that I miss it and I really wish that I could be there.
84. It’s harder to make friends in a new town than I thought it would be.
85. I need to stop referring to Athens as a new town since I’ve lived here for well over a year.
86. It’s fun for me to think about where I will go once I’m done with school because I do not plan to make this place my home sweet home for any longer than I have to.
87. I very easily forget that my plans aren’t really the ones that matter.
88. Sometimes I feel like people don’t understand my sense of humor. I pray for these people because obviously they are the ones lacking something.
89. I love tradition.
90. This weekend will be the first time that I have been away from Cash for more than 12 hours at a time since I got him.
91. The thought of leaving him for 4 days makes me sad. Then I remember that I used to giggle at people like me.
92. Which is why I’m a firm believer in what goes around comes around. Both Alicia Keys and Justin Timberlake said it so it must be true.
93. I like to invest in people and know them. Not just the surface stuff, but the stuff that makes them who they are.
94. But most people don’t realize this about me because in certain situations I am shy and it appears that I am being a snob. I'm not though.
95. I don’t like losing touch with people, but unfortunately I think it’s a part of life.
96. If ever I’m scrolling through the channels and Top Gun is on I will stop and watch it every time without fail.
97. I feel completely unprepared for the Thanksgiving half-marathon that I’m running (I use this word loosely) in a few weeks.
98. No matter how hard I try to do it, I find it nearly impossible to get in the bed before 11 each night.
99. I still don’t understand what is happening with the economy. I’m hoping that a simple explanation will be included in the envelope with my new Wells Fargo debit card.
100. I think it would be interesting to see the stuff that I would've come up with had I done this on another day. But not interesting enough to do it again.

5 comments:

Suzanna said...

Hilarious! I even learned a few new things.

I love that I have a friend who has also not broken a bone, but ripped her cornea, only I've ripped mine 1-2-3 times.

allison said...

I got all the way to #90 before I realized that I could no longer remember all the comments I wanted to make, so then I opened the comment section next to the original post. Here's what I remember that I wanted to say: I love lamp. Careful you don't run into Dwight on your trip to New Zealand.I love your sense of humor and am constantly laughing when around you...which reminds me, will you be around Athens any part of the week around thanksgiving? I seem to recall you saying you wouldn't hang around Dahlonega when you graduated....how long were you there again? Just wondering if you may be in Athens longer than you think. Alright, I think that's it for now. Thanks for the insightful blog.

HP said...

Really, Suz? How have we been friends for 10 years and I didn't know this about you?

Allison - Yep, I'll be around. Am I going to get to see you and that cute baby? Thanks for the reminder about how long I lived in Dahlonega. You keep me grounded, Allison. :)

Unknown said...

Heather you crack me up and I totally enjoyed learning more about you...even though I had to come back 3 times before I could finish it b/c I kept running out of time!

Maggie said...

Heather, I love it! I twirl the right side of my hair too...maybe it is a red head thing. Or, maybe we just worry too much and are going to have to get extensions in just 1 place one day.