Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Time

It's on Mick Jagger's side.
Otis sits on the dock of the bay and wastes it.
One thing for certain is that it keeps slipping into the future.


The other day I was thinking about time and how it seems like there is never enough of it. When I was a child I always thought that all of those adults who sat around talking about how quickly time passes were absolutely crazy. Did they not realize how long it took for December 25th to roll around each year? Practically an eternity. But now that I have become one of those mature and responsible grown-ups, I was thinking just the other day about how I really needed to start Christmas shopping since I have only two more paydays between now and then. I swear the days are getting shorter. Let's not even talk about weeks or months. I haven't taken down my September calendar yet at my desk,and we're a quarter of the way through October. Yes, it's true.

In my thinking about time, I really could not account for how I spent mine. Ok, I know that I sleep, eat, work, etc. but how much do I spend in a non-productive manner? I had no idea and honestly I was a little afraid to find out. But I knew that I needed to. So I started a journal last Saturday night at midnight. Yes, the first 25 minutes were documented as watching TV. Originally I was just going to do it just for a 24 hour period but seeing as though it was a Sunday that wouldn't give me an accurate depiction. It was at that point when my inner geek emerged fully and I decided to keep the journal for a full week. I like to keep journals though so I didn't really think it would be all that difficult. But the tediousness of noting the time I start or stop something all the time is getting a little old. Of course it's not going to be completely accurate and of course just keeping the journal has already made me more cognizant of what I'm doing with my time so I'm probably wasting less, but that's ok. Isn't that the point of the whole "project"? Maybe you're wondering why I'm broadcasting this to the blogosphere only half-way through the week. Well, the reason why is because doing so will keep me accountable. If I tell someone I'm doing it, then I'll continue to keep it up for the full week. Also I might end up learning something significant during this little project and I will pass it along in the hopes of helping someone else out. Hey...a girl can dream can't she?

Monday night I was on Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life website, and I stumbled across this devotion. Coincidence? I think not. I love it when these kinds of things happen!

4 comments:

Josh and Donna said...

well. i think at least a few minutes of your week should include a notation of "checking donna's blog". ;o)

Maggie said...

Don't we all need a little reminder of this...I know I do. Thanks for sharing HP!

MB Shaw said...

Ok, so this whole time I have been reading your blog, I thought that the photo on top of your page was of you with foils in your hair sitting under a dryer at the salon. I just examined more closely and realized you are in a feathered/flower hat having a spot of tea!! I have to admit, I was pretty impressed that you would show yourself in such a vulnerable light!! Ha ha. Guess I need to pay attention better. Love, the hat, by the way.

HP said...

Hahahahaha...that's funny, Merideth. Especially considering that this hair has never had foil in it!