Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hydrocodone Haze

I'm a firm believer that we really do learn something new every day. Now, sometimes what we learn is not earth-shattering or really all that significant in the grand scheme of things, but learning takes place nonetheless. Personally I love to learn. It's like exercise for my brain. And I'm convinced that exercising my brain is certainly helping me to prepare for the upcoming Country Music Half-Marathon. I've learned a few things this week and in the spirit education [or my incessant need to write], I'll share them with you three readers out there.

I learned just how talented my baby cousin, Justin is. It's something that I've suspected all along, but here's proof. I'm so proud of him. This is at the Bluebird in Nashville.


I learned that I should not take hydrocodone cough syrup at 1:30 on a Thursday afternoon while at work. Doesn't really do much to aide in productivity. Well...my productivity anyway. I'm sure my co-workers were able to get more done by not having to listen to me hack. Nor should I take it on a Friday night after a little honey, lemon, and whiskey potion. I felt like it was my freshman year at the Pajama Jam all over again. Except there was no fruit in the bottom of a cooler that I felt compelled to eat. Fruit's healthy, right? Wrong. Very, very wrong.

I learned that a girl can fall from the #1 position to the #35 position in one of her NCAA tourney pools in a matter of hours. There are some lessons in life that are a little difficult to learn.

I learned that I've been bitten by the travel bug. Big time. More on that when I have more plans.

I learned that my friend, Donna, became a mommy. Congrats to her sweet family of three!

I learned that I'm not nearly as cool as I think I am. Picture it: Saturday I'm at work for Open House. It's monsooning outside and three of us are walking through a building to stay out of the rain. I'm leading the way...talking the whole time...not really paying attention. I go to push open the glass door and run SMACK! DAB! into the glass window that separates the two doors. Fortunately bruises to one's pride are not visible.

I learned that The Princess Bride is the 80 movie that defines me, Sandy is the Grease character most like me, Aerial is the Disney Princess that I am most like, that my parents should have named me Olivia, the US President I am most like is Calvin Coolidge, and Dolce & Gabbana shoes define me. Who knews that there were so many similarities between The Princess Bride and Dolce and Gabbana shoes. How in the world did we ever form our identities before Facebook quizzes?

I'm learning that I may have to let go of some of the dreams that I have for my life. But since I'm still learning this, I'm not quite ready to share. Yet.

1 comment:

Tiffany McConahay said...

Wow your cousin is very talented and how awesome that he got to play at the Blue Bird! I went there last year and loved it! If you're ever looking for a travel buddy I always have the itch but nobody except the parentals to go w/ since everyone else is married...