Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The reality of reality television...

is that it isn't real. Bless the hearts of those souls who believe it is. Last night I gave ABC three hours of my life that I will never get back in order to witness "happily-ever-after in the making". Of course I always roll my eyes right out of my head at the ridiculous drama of it all but maybe that's because I'm far too jaded for my own well-being. Beautiful, seemingly intelligent women crying over a good looking stand-up guy asking him to love them. [Insert incredibly romantic scene in Notting Hill when Julia Roberts shows up in Hugh Grant's bookstore here.] Thank you major media markets for perpetuating gender stereotypes. But who doesn't love the idea of a happy ending? We all do. So that's why we watch. As for the people who go on these shows, who am I to question the decisions they make? Just because I would never be caught dead on national television wearing my bikini making out with the same dude that was smooching on a dozen other women in the same afternoon only for my grandma to watch with the other deacons' wives six months later doesn't mean I'm entitled to judge them. [Yet I do. Which I'll talk about another day when I'm feeling especially convicted and introspective.] For now, I'll leave you all with this. Jimmy Kimmell keeping it real with Jason the Bachelor last night after all the prime time nonsense...

3 comments:

Josh and Donna said...

i admit to watching the "after the rose episode". ABC sucked me in. i didn't even watch ONE episode of the bachelor, but the promo was so DRAMATIC (and all my other normally slotted shows were re-runs) so i watched while writing thank you notes. wow. i am glad rejected girl can realize her anger is truly hurt and i can't believe left-over girl was still waiting to hear he wanted her back. this is officially my longest comment ever.

Lindsey Oliver said...

Jace had to remind me that the Bachelor is not real. Then I indignantly replied, "Of course it is."

Angel said...

jason is an idiot...not to mention a vast number of girls plotting to get him. i watched the season...yep, i was right there with you every monday night rolling my eyes. and i was so hoping molly would say "are you crazy? you just dumped melissa on national television 5 min. ago and you want to take me out for a drink? NO!"

Instead, they made out. Should have guessed.