Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Magnificent.

Have you ever had one of those mornings? You know the kind I'm talking about. It starts off as a fairly normal morning with nothing out of the ordinary. You might even be so lucky as to make it to work on time without having to skip breakfast on a morning such as this. You're just going along minding your own business, doing your own thing and then suddenly out of nowhere God shows up. My day started off much like what I just described above. I actually made it out of bed in time to exercise the dog before work which I thought would be the highlight of my morning until I saw the sunrise as I was driving to work. It was the biggest and brightest orange ball that I have seen in a very long time (except for when I played a mad game of HORSE with Ethan the last time I was home). And then when I turned onto the road that leads to campus this is what I saw when I looked to my left...
Enter God. Magnificent. I'm being nothing but honest when I say that my relationship with God has been a bit stagnant over the past couple of months. Sure I've been going through the motions of going to church and every once and again I'll pick up my Bible, but in short - life has gotten in the way. Can I get an amen? And then just when I least expect it...on a random Tuesday morning in March...there he is providing me with a simple reminder that he's been here all this time. Just as sure as the sun rises, there is he. And I know that I've said it no less than a thousand times, but I just love how he reveals himself to each of us in different ways. There are many others who saw this same sunrise this morning and it might not have meant the same to them, but for me it was like going to church. (Minus the whole sitting in an auditorium that is kept at a balmy 68 degrees for 70 minutes.) Or much like being reunited with an old friend. It's a good feeling. This past Sunday my best friend, Shelley, called and we chatted for nearly an hour. I haven't talked to her since last April. It's ridiculous that we haven't been better at keeping in touch with each other, but again...life happened. But it was just like we picked right back up where we left off and it was so good for this little soul o' mine. And that's how it is with God. Here is where I should probably insert that sometimes I'm a little slow and I need more than an amazing sunrise to remind me that we are not all stars in our own shows. The song that was playing on my radio while this incredible sunrise was unfolding before me was Magnificent by U2. [For the three of you who are living under a rock and avoid the TV, radio, internet and newsstands like the plague, U2 just released a new CD.] I don't know if the boys from Ireland are letting their spiritual lights shine through this song or not, but one could definitely make this inference. (You can listen to it for yourself here.) I just love it when the ordinary becomes extraordinary out of the clear blue sky.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

For some reason the visual that always triggers thoughts of the divine is when I pour cream into coffee. Something about that swirling ephemeral cloud always leads me to ponder the mind of God.