Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Where's my 8th grade spirit wear when I need it?

It's March people and that can only mean one thing: Madness. Sheer Madness. This time each year I act like I follow college basketball and become totally engrossed with the sport for 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I do love me some college hoops but if I have to choose between watching a game or oh, let's say that episode from The Cosby Show where it's the grandparents' 50th anniversary, I choose Cosby. Every time. Even though I've seen that episode no less than 23 times. Now when the Saints make it to the big show, that's when I'll become a little more loyal to the entire season. Besides, I live in the heart of SEC country...basketball isn't a sport. Enough with the excuses.

A couple of years ago I was invited by gal pal Suzanna's husband, Mike, to participate in one of those NCAA tournament group thingies. [This is where I have to pretend like I don't really know anything about sports in order to keep up my girly facade that I worked so hard to build. I was a high school softball player - it took years to prove my girliness.] And [not so] surprisingly...I WON! That's where strategery will get you ladies and gentlemen...into the winner's circle. I actually did a great deal of research and put a lot of time and thought into my choices that year. Have I ever mentioned here in the blogosphere that I love to win? I do. Winning is fun. If by chance you ever find yourself on my Taboo team, you had better pay attention. Because we will win.

This year I thought that I had gotten left out of the fun and games with Mike's friends. I reassured myself that it was because those fragile male egos could not stand to lose to a girl. So today when I was cruising the blogosphere, I stumbled across an opportunity to participate in another group on BooMama's blog. I peep her blog from time to time because y'all...she's funny. Blame it on the madness of work and school, but I hastily completed my bracket without much rhyme or reason to my selections. Sadly I can't even say that I chose the teams based on the mascot because when I selected my winner, I realized that I didn't even know what it was. That's a bad sign if I don't even know the mascot of the team that I have chosen to win the whole sha-bang because as I proclaimed earlier today, I am a vat of useless knowledge. This called for some internet research. Turns out my selection might not be the greatest.

A couple of hours after I completed my bracket, whaddya' know, I got an invite from Mike to join his group. Of course I was going to join. On the way home from class tonight I debated with myself as to whether or not I would remain loyal to my team that I have chosen already or if I would try to make a better selection based on stats. Stats schmats...I'm staying true to the blue and gold. GO PANTHERS!!

No comments: