Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Can You Feel It?

Fall. I know that it doesn't officially arrive until the 22nd of this month, but as far as I'm concerned it arrived today. Maybe today was just a little tease from Mother Nature to let us know what lies ahead. Just a little bit of encouragement in the event that we wake up tomorrow morning and it's 93 degrees with 85% humidity. Thanks for the sneak preview, Mother Nature...I know that the good stuff is coming so I'll try not to complain too much when my make-up melts off of my face during Cash's mid-day walk.
Today I decided to celebrate the arrival of my most favorite season of all by enjoying it to the fullest. Well...to the fullest extent that one who is on her first day back to work after staycation can. I went for a run outside wearing my favorite running combo: a long-sleeved t-shirt and shorts. Yes, it was cool enough for long sleeves. Or maybe I'm just cold-blooded. Speaking of cold-blooded, about 10 minutes into my run I crossed paths with a snake who decided to take advantage of the weather too. Now I know that all creatures are God's creatures and all have their own purpose, but I can't believe that the life purpose of that snake was to give me a near heart attack. I wish I could say that I used the survival techniques learned during my time as a Brownie Girl Scout to avoid the potential crisis, but the main survival technique we learned was how to bake cookies using all-purpose flour when the self-rising is all gone. Not really applicable in this particular situation. I know there is some rule of thumb about how the shape of a snake's head indicates whether or not it is poisonous, but I personally didn't want to get that acquainted with it. As best I could tell it was an anaconda or a python. Because those are both common in Northeast Georgia.
Back to my tribute to fall. I really love everything about it and all things associated with it. The temperatures are nearly perfect, the leaves are absolutely gorgeous (I can't wait until they start turning), the sound of the wind blowing the leaves is so relaxing...the list goes on and on. It's when I'm at my best. I think we all have a season that is our "best" season so if fall is not yours then thank you for your patience as I enjoy it. And remember, your season is coming. After all, I believe that for those of us who are God's kiddos, all of these great days and best seasons here serve as little reminders of what is in store. Thanks for the sneak preview, Lord...I know the best stuff is coming so I'll try to make the most of all the good I've been given in the meantime.

5 comments:

Suzanna said...

I got a little freaked out just reading about your snake encounter. Yikes!! I'd definitely prefer to deal with the flour crisis

Awesome pictures! I need to make an appointment for a sitting for Caroline.

Jenny said...

Fall is my favorite, too! I absolutely LOVE it! Everything about it is simply amazing!

Josh and Donna said...

fall and spring are my faves. i love love love love it.

Anonymous said...

I love fall, too! I get in a happier mood just thinking about it! THank you for the "fall tribute"!

And I HATE snakes (this is not news to you!) I'm so sorry about that part of your adventure and am glad he was "just as scared of you as you were of him." Yeah, right, I never have believed that!!

Maggie said...

Fall is when I'm at my best too HP! Oh, and the snake thing...reason #1 why you need a Road ID!