Monday, September 15, 2008

How I Spent My Summer Staycation

They say all good things must come to an end. I really wish that "they" would identify themselves because I don't always agree with this statement, but I'll spare you all a deep, philosophical posting today. It is true, however, for my staycation. Over the past week I did not discover the key to independent wealth, nor did Ed McMahon show up with the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol (he probably wishes they would knock on his door about now, actually) so that means tomorrow I'll be back at work...nose to the grindstone...slaving away. Now for the moment you've all been anxiously awaiting - my staycation in pictures (and words...a lot of them).
The first official item of non-business was a trip here: For those of you who are Athens savvy, you may recognize this as Tasty World, but I actually headed upstairs to Republic for a hair cut. It was 10:30 on a Wednesday morning, after all. Now the salon experience was just that...an experience. I'm very picky about who cuts my hair because one bad hair cut with this curly stuff makes for a very bad month or two. I went to the same stylist for 8 years before moving to Athens, but it was finally time to end that relationship because driving 2 hours for a hair cut was absurd with the price of petrol on the rise. Hmm...maybe all good things do come to an end. I was quite impressed with Republic even though I was a little concerned when the receptionist asked me if I wanted something to drink and offered up beer or wine as a suggestion. (please reference time of day from prior sentence). But once I sat down in the shampoo chair they probably could've given me a purple-streaked mohawk and I wouldn't have cared as long as they promised to wash my hair again. Between hair cuts I forget how much I love having my hair shampooed. I decided right then and there that when I win the lottery I'm going to install a hair washing station and hire someone to come wash my hair each morning. Currently I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to win the lottery if I don't play it but that's just a minor detail that I'm sure will work itself out. All was going great until she got out the hair dryer to "lightly diffuse" my hair. Um, big mistake. Huge mistake. I only have a hair dryer because I feel like that is one of those things that you need on hand "just in case" but I never actually use the thing. After rushing immediately home to re-wash and style my new 'do I found myself here later in the afternoon:
Ok, the truth is my class isn't on main campus but I just love the Arch. It's symbolic and a little more aesthetically pleasing than some 1960's structure by the river. Throughout the rest of the week I managed to take a few trips to the gym and Target and Old Navy and Bed, Bath and Beyond and Academy Sports and Outdoors and Starbucks and Publix. So I like to shop on occasion. It's my staycation, I'll shop if I want to. By Saturday I had had my fill of watching Geraldo hug a tree in 110 mph winds and was getting a little restless so I decided to take a trip. I had originally planned to go here
with my family because I am missing the mountains so badly. But then I decided to make the trip in October when the leaves are pretty so get ready mountain friends, I'll soon be in a city near you. Instead I just went to my hometown. No visit home is complete without a trip to Mu and Pop's house:
Aren't Mu's flowers pretty? Cash thinks they are very tasty. He really liked the elephant ears too...
I just liked the way he sat on the stairs...
That dog's owner really needs to inform him that he is in fact a canine, not a human. After eating leafy greens and watching football all afternoon, the boys were ready to relax: Speaking of Ethan, the craziest thing happened between my last trip home and this trip... He grew taller than me. Yes, I know we look about the same height in this picture, but he's taller. My baby brother is growing up. We can carry on real conversations, he's smart, plays baseball and he's funny too. No wonder all the little girls blush when he says hello to them. After a great couple of days with the fam, it was time to head back to Athens. On my way back over, I stopped by Maggie and Wes's for a cookout. Katie was there too. Now, Jeffrey, her adventure loving husband was off running 20 miles in the mountains, and even though we missed him that just meant more brownies for us. I just love time with my friends...These are some fun girls. Oh the fun we've had over the past 11 years. 11 years? Ack!! When did we get old? Weren't we just walking around the Drill Field on our way back to Sanford last week? Now we're all grown up with dogs and husbands and babies and stuff. Well, we all three have dogs... And just look at Maggie's handsome little man, Colt: No, folks... your eyes are not playing tricks on you in the previous picture. That is in fact a weimaraner hurdling patio chairs in the background. Ellie wanted desperately to come in with the rest of us, but this had to happen first:She really likes having her hair shampooed by someone else too.

Staycation is officially over at 5:00 tomorrow morning when my alarm clock makes that dreaded beeping noise. Congratulations to those of you who managed to make it through this entire post without dozing off and bruising your forehead on your keyboard. For that, you deserve a staycation of your own. I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

What if you asked for lottery tickets as gifts? Then, you aren't really wasting your own money, and gifts--they're not necessities anyway.

allison said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful staycation.

As for the lottery, you could always befriend some old guy playing the lottery and when he wins maybe he'll give you the money. But then you haven't actually won have you. Hmm.

Maggie said...

I definitely did not nod off on my keyboard HP...I loved all the details of your staycation, and I am so glad that we got a chance to be a part of it.

Suzanna said...

I'm about to cry. Definitely didn't get your message. I just did stupid stuff all week when I could have been playing with HP!

Ok, so I need you to go ahead and put in a request for your leave for your week of vacation at my house. I'll feed you good meals and take you all over Atlanta to visit all the places you've only heard about on the radio ;)

Unknown said...

ok - the dog hurdling the patio chairs basically made me wet my pants...and i am still laughing! the rest was entertaining as usual!!