Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wanted: An Economist Who Speaks Really Slowly

In an effort to try to figure out what the heck is going on with the economy, the other day I googled "economy". It was then that I was confronted with the harsh reality that Google does not have the answers to all of life's questions. So I found myself cursing my degree in psychology and wishing that I had listened to my mother's advice about taking courses in college that I would really benefit from one day. Then I remembered that she was always referring to biology when she said this, and might I add here that not once in my entire professional career, mother, have I ever needed to draw a diagram of a cell. Next I remembered that I did take economics in college. 1.5 times. I withdrew from the course at the mid-point during my first go around. Therein lies the problem...It's not that I wasn't capable of succeeding in the class, it just bored me beyond measure. But now that I'm a working girl with an income that's not increasing at the same rate that the price per pound of bananas is, it doesn't seem as boring. Something tells me that the rising price of produce isn't the biggest problem either. Fannie and Freddie are no longer just the weird distant relatives who live in West Virginia, and the SEC is something other than an athletic conference. Breaking News: This is worse than I thought...John McCain just cancelled his appearance on David Letterman. I'm not trying to make light of a subject that is actually very serious, but it's my way of compensating for my own lack of knowledge and feelings of uncertainty. Am I the only one here who is completely lost in the sauce? Maybe I'll start by going to Barnes & Noble to pick up a copy of this:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you Heather, and I even tried listening to Bush talk tonight and I'm still lost on things....I think economics and politics are way more than my brain can handle and that's scary since I have just entered the working world!

Jenny said...

Bush did a fairly good job of simplifying what created the mess we're in. My personal opinion is that the market is simply correcting itself.

Alison said...

I might suggest new Planet Money podcast from NPR. I like it a lot. http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/

These are very interesting times - the kind of thing that will definitely make the text books for future generations.